question on bigjon jr.

walleyedreamer

hi i just bought these down riggers about a month ago. and was wondering how to use the rod holder with the spring near the bottom. if i drop the cannon ball 50 feet with line attach to the clip, do i push on the rod holder with the springs near the bottom. the tight up the line on the reel. or do nothing. just tight up the line on the reel. leave the rod holder straight up . and part two of the question is i used an eight pound cannon ball on my manual last year. and steel cable was on an angle. at about two miles a hour. should i be using an ten pound ball to get it straight as possible. does shape matter. like a fish shape. thanks for the help. walleyedreamer

IMG_1242.jpg

I've downrigger fished for over 45 years and fixed downriggers for the last 20 and have to admit that's the first time I saw a Jon rod holder bracket like that which makes me think some handy person made it. Jon usually ( if the holders are not part of the mounting assembly ) mounts the rod holder at the back of the rigger. Unfortunately I'm not sure how this mount will work but it's obvious the springs are there to absorb shock. As far as weight you should have an angle in you cable. We only use 10 pounders for deeper applications or when it's very wavy.

Edited by Garyv