Weird Hookup in Lake ontario this morning - Ideas???

troutbum

LAke ontario this morning... 40-45 feet down over 119 feet of water, offshore from perhaps Walker's Line (??)

Downrigger cable down 80 feet didn't hit anything - but a dipsey with 100 feet of line out to the flank sure did. Stopped cold. Cut the motor to keep my line. 200 feet out before I knew it. Thought maybe a HUGE laker -- it was like a boot on the bottom. I started horsing it up to the top -- but no action at all - just dead weight. Not a fish. I started thinking maybe a body (!!!!) or an underwater cable. (Except the rigger and our other lines were clear - and the dipsey was only perhaps 45 feet under the surface.)

Got within 20 feet of surface and couldn't budge it after that. Still couldn't see it. Tried to break it off, but my braided line wouldn't snap. Before I thought of just cutting the damn line, the rod shattered and I ended up on my arse in the bottom of the boat. (Always wear glasses in the boat - if it's not hooks in the face, it's fiberglass shrapnel)

Any ideas what this might have been? I'm thinking submerged tree, perhaps. Something that washed out of one of the rivers in the spring and has been drifting around.

Then the two rigger lines tangled because we were stationary so long and the lines just hanging off the clips got into mischief. That took some work to free up. The downrigger cables themselves were the only things I didn't need to cut.

Basically a bad day fishing. Still better than work, I think.

My rigger was down 60 ft over 120 two weeks ago when it caught into someting and started to pull out my rigger line I went to cut when it just spooled my rigger wire. There was a sailing bouy a few hundred feet away is the only thing I could think it was.Lost a shark cannon ball.