Bonnie Boats Parking Fiasco

boatman

Well, I sent an email to each member of council for the Town of Georgina regarding the new parking fees to be placed at Jackson's Point and Bonnie Boats. In the letter, I stated how upset I was with their decision and especially with the comments of Liesure Services Director, John McLean. Councillor Brad Smockum replied with the following email, in which he addressed their rationale for the parking levy, but did not address John McLean's comments that the "out-of-town" visitors add nothing to the local economy. Those comments were the principal reason I wrote the letter in the first place.

"The decision to charge for parking was so that we could control the

number of people on the beach, during the summer. We charge the same

fee

for parking at all other Town owned beaches. These parking rates will

only apply from mid-June until Labour Day.

If you are lauching your boat, Bonnie Boats has set aside an area where

you can park. There may or may not be a charge.

We have had total chaos at the beach during the long weekends in the

past.

This decision way made to control these situations. If you have any

further questions please feel free to ask."

Brad Smockum

Ward 5 Councillor

Town of Georgina

I got a couple more letters. They both said basically the same thing. If you are launching at Bonnie Boats you don't have to pay the extra $30, otherwise shell out.

The Director of Leisure Services, John McLean wrote the report that blames out-of-towners for taking up parking spaces and adding nothing to the economy of Georgina. He responded to my letter with this letter.

"The parking restriction at Jackson's Point will only be enforced during

The summer months (and mostly weekends and holidays) as that is the time that the area becomes unsafe from a congestion standpoint. The beach loadings (#of people on the small beach) become unsafe and the only way we can control that is by controlling the parking during that time.

The comment which you have quoted from me remains true for MANY people

Who do visit this destination in the summer. What you didn't read in the article was that Bonnie Boats customers will not have to pay for parking in addition to the launch, so in theory, if you have been paying for the launch, then Bonnie Boats will provide you with a "pass" for the days that you do launch. We have discussed the report with Bonnie Boats and came to a mutual settlement regarding the use of our properties collectively. The 10-12 boats who do launch daily during the summer months will be accomodated. The early part of the season and later fall fishing will not be impacted at all in this location as we encourage the use of the Bonnie Boats launch during these times as parking and beach loading is not a problem during that time of the year anyway.

The Town of Georgina totally understands the huge economic impact of

Fishing on Lake Simcoe in general and in Georgina specifically. As a

"travelling fisherman" myself, I am VERY aware the the industry is important and the kind of money spent by fishermen. We want to encourage this (your) kind of use and discourage those individuals who do not spend anything and who are true "daytrippers" who bring everything, spend nothing, clog the parking making it impossible to lauch at Bonnie Boats from time to time, and then leave their garbage.

I trust this memo clarifies the actual intent of the report and I have

Taken the liberty of attaching a copy of the report which did go to Council.

Please help us spread the word that we are OPEN for business to

Fishermen who do spend $ in our area."

Sincerely,

John McLean

Director of Leisure Services