RESPECTFUL FISHING - BLURRING PHOTOGRAPHS

snag

This talk about bad apples , are we talking about people who leave behind more than just foot prints ? Or are we talking about people who use your OFC posts to find new fishing spots ?

As far as ticked off property owners go, even if fishermen/women clean up after themselves , if they come in droves , no parking and No Trespassing signs can and will still be put up due to noise, too many cars, or simply lack of privacy for the person suffering from the fisherpeople's presence .

Lads and lasses, it's very simple. When we post a report , we know from the get go whether or not we had success, or lack there-of in a secret honey-hole , or a popular spot , like Centre Island.

If you're concerned about your fishing spot , then shoot towards the ground, mask it out, or don't post a picture at all , and be brief in your report , or don't report at all ! It's your choice how conservative an approach to take.

If you caught a bucket of big crappies from Cannal Road or what not, lets face it , everyone knows cannal road , just like everyone knows of Centre Island , then you will know that whether you post or not , the fishermen will keep coming; some will get skunked, and some will find the fish.

If you post a honey hole , and that upsets other OFNers , it's not a honey hole, just another fishing spot .

Another way to solve this issue is to switch to Carp fishing. We Carpers never face shoulder to shoulder fishing. Plenty of ridicule, but little pressure :)

Agreed Grant.

I've been doing what Aron said these days. I try to take photos of fish on an angle that doesn't give away the spot. Infact, I was just cropping a few pics right now. One of them I can't even post because it's just too obvious and it's one of my favourite spots. I've said too much in the past and it's part of the reason I don't post reports so much any more.

I also think what Erik said about the fishery is true. I still see and catch plenty of fish. I haven't been skunked yet this year. Although, I never specifically divulge a select few spots. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The litter thing is extremely disturbing. It's a crying shame if a good spot gets shut down for that reason. I just don't understand how people can leave garbage lying around like that. I think disrespectful fishermen is the biggest problem here.

I'll probably post reports this season. But it's unlikely anyone who doesn't already know the spot by heart will recognize where it is. It's just safer that way.

Cheers

EDIT: And greggy is right about other reasons why spots get shut down. Droves are droves, and are usually not too welcome outside of places such as woodstock.

Edited by Lucid

Cool Dougy,

I want to clear up some confusion. Meant to do this earlier but thought this was a dead horse.

Toronto islands may have unlimited fish but not spots. If islanders are serious, they may reduce angling areas.

Areas inside and around marinas are already restricted.

Last year I had a talk with a resident who said that they wanted picnic areas and any boat mooring spots restricted. She said a couple folks wanted more "sanctuary" designations too.

She indicated Hanlans point to the Trout pond and the Bandstand shore. Wards island near the ferry is also under attack.

She did mention some other areas but at the time, I can't remember them or if they were even fishing spots. I wasn't really paying attention. :whistling:

1. Bandstand shore- Apparently, picnickers complained about people fishing. Dangerous hooks flying about, disturbing nature, litter (smoke butts, tackle, food garbage, etc.)

2. Hanlans point to the Trout pond- mostly for boaters and some picnickers. same as above

3. Wards island near the ferry- the marina there wants the same restrictions as ALL OTHER ISLAND MARINAS-NO FISHING. They are tired of trespassers on the docks and sick of avoiding fishing lines when leaving the marina.

I told her that fishing provides tourism to the island. She said they did a study and it really didn't generate much. The school groups and general population during the height of summer paid the rent.

She also said that accidental garbage was an issue (fishing line). Boaters complained about it's presence. I said it was probably coming from Lake O than from shore fisherman.

She seemed to care less.

I would also like to know what time of year these anglers are the biggest nuisance.

Anyways, just another reason, for me to be more cautious.

I know it's not us. We are good anglers

Of course.

For the record:

The original thread wasn't intended to transfix on the islands anyways.

I'm sure this rings true just about anywhere though.

:Gonefishing:

Hey snog, if they did indeed restrict fishing at the locations on the Islands mentioned - that would be the end of most of my best fishing spots! :(

Though during July and August Hanlans to Trout Pond is pretty much a no go as there are so many boats moored in the way of prime LM bass fishing water. Perhaps us shore anglers should complain about all those boats preventing us from fishing public areas! :D

Can't resist..... How can the residents of the Islands complain about litter and mess - have you seen most of their front gardens, they're like junkyards! LOL :P

Edit... Just remembered, while I was down at the islands this winter I saw a number of old rusty kitchen appliances that local kids had found lying around and had decided to drop onto the ice from the bridge at Wards Island (now presumably on the bottom of the channel) - perhaps a real indicator of how much the locals care about their environment down there! <_<

That said there is a problem with litter caused by anglers in the GTA - but my guess is these are casual anglers and the kind of people who probably litter regardless of whether they are fishing or not in which case its a wider education issue.

Edited by OO7

Remind them that only the MNR or the Federal Government may impose fishing restrictions. It is not within municipal or regional government powers to do so.

Actually,

I did kinda say that to her. I'm not sure if they were putting pressure on them to make changes.

This brought up the whole marina/water/leasing discussion a while back.

Like I said,

I wasn't completely paying attention, fishing was on the brain :sleeping_02:

I also added what a bunch of slobs boaters can be sometimes be. I remarked on the garbage they "accidentally" lose annually.

Edited by snog