Fishfinder Question / Opinions.

ckrb2007

So, as a 40th birthday gift to myself, I'm thinking about upgrading my fishfinder from my x67 icemachine to something else. I'm looking for something that will be good for icefishing as well as on my dads 18ft Princecraft for the softwater. The units that I'm looking at are all Lowrance brands. Elite-5x, Elite-5x DSI and the HDS-5x. I'd probably buy the unit and then purchase the portable ice pack seperate. Any pros and/or cons with these units from first hand experience on the ice and or the softwater?? I have been totally happy with my Lowrance x67. Absolutely no problems in the years I've used it so that's why I'm sticking with Lowrance.

Thanks and looking forward to the replies.

Colin

Hey CKRB I'm not familiar with the Lowrance models U mentioned although I did have The Lowrance 100xc color finder. I recently purchased a Humminbird Ice 55 flasher. Used it yesterday for the first time, then today as well. Love it, user friendly & I'm an older guy with limited computer/tech knowledge. U can zoom in a 5' area of your water column, watch your bait go down to your level, also view if a fish is sniffing out your offering. It's amazing but a little pricey, then U would need something for soft water. I also checked out the Humm 385 i which is a flasher, GPS, & soft water capabilities. Just adding my opinion. Good luck