Portable Ice Hut Question

danbouck

Just ordered the 2-3 man "Fish Inn" from Costco. Seemed like a good deal for the 600 denier fabric since most of the other cheapo pop-ups are 300 denier and more money [HT is $159 at LeBaron though]. That combined with the free shipping and Costco warranty sold me on it. I only need it as a base camp anyway. The hut from Gagnon looks really sweet too. Probably would have thought more about purchasing that model if I hadn't already ordered the Costco one.

edit: After reading this I might just return it once I get it, lol. It's probably why there's only 2 windows instead of 4 as well. Think I will just order the one from Gagnon.

Edited by FishLogic

Got the same type but in a HT. Lebarons has them for $150 but they are on backorder which means it could arrive in June.

Regarding anchoring it down... Unless its windy, i dont bother.. but you gotta be careful because winds picked up fast on Simcoe and blew the damn thing over when we were fishing inside. must have been a sight to see - us chasing the damn thing and putting it back up in the wind..

I have no problems with the ice anchors. They hold like a charm. Just a pain to drill in.

I agree with the other suggestions, that a Clam is the most convenient, but when you dont have a sled to pull it out, every pound counts. Mine is about 22lbs and with all my gear Im probably pulling 50-60, and thats already hard work. I cant imagine pulling 100lbs+ with a clam setup.

BTW pop up is easy. It takes a while to get used to the takedown. Take my advice and do a few take downs at home, or else you may find yourself like me fumbling and cursing in the dark trying to figure out how the f* every bends back together... No fun at all, when a squall kicks up...

The other thing Id get is a blunt spade. Rapala makes a good folding one. The reason is that the snow and ice you put on the flap of the base of the hut tends to freeze - especially when you have a heater running in the hut. Ive had some days Ive struggled just trying to dig myself out.

Wymen