Classic Fly Fishing Reels

thatleetboy

Some of us have tighter fishing budgets than others, and some of us actually try and stick to them... ;)

I'm a thrift store/kijiji/Value Village kind of a guy with most of my interests, and have found it a bit of a challenge to get into fly fishing.

I'm hoping to get out to BC later this fall for a family visit, and sneak off for a little fun with the salmon whenever I can. So, I was pretty excited to find two old fly reels, a great deal really, one is a Hardy Viscount 150, the other is a Young's Beaudex. I was told that they were old family pieces from the Gaspe, perfect for salmon fishing. They're a little beat up, but with a little attention they will be more sufficient for what I am capable of.

I was a little tentative about where to take them in to get advice, and have some line and backing put on them. I didn't want some random teenager telling me what to do, and I didn't want to get someone looking down their nose at me for bringing in these old clunkers.

Yesterday, I was meeting a friend to go to the Wilmot, and as I was a little early getting away, I stopped by Gagnon's in Oshawa. I was lucky enough to walk in and bump into dmasse. OK, I've never met the guy, only had the most passing of conversations here on OFC with him. I have to say, what a terrific guy. He made a big fuss over these old reels, even called other people over to look at them. He spent a lot of time talking to me about how to set them up, and took the time to make sure everything was just right for me. A stellar experience.

I know we're all pretty quick to criticize and complain about many things, so I just thought I might take a moment to express my praise and gratitude to someone for going out of their way to make a my retail experience an incredible one.

Thanks Dave!

:clapping::clapping::clapping: