Ice fishing questions

splashhopper

As some of you may remember, this is my first season ice fishing.....

having some success so far.....( lots of sunfish blue gills crappies and a couple of perch)

The body of water I am fishing is 12 ft deep at its deepest section with weed beds around.

I fished this place all summer and think I know where the bottom slowly drops from about 3ft to 12 feet.

I also know where the heaviest concentration of thick weedbeds were i nthe summertime.... and where the heaviest concentration of sunken trees are.

The thick weed beds tend to be in water that is 2-6 ftt deep, with an undercurrent going through it.

The sunken trees are all in the 2-5 ft deep stretch with the same undercurrent running through it.

So far, I have stayed in the 8-12 ft deep stretches and fish the bottom extensively.

There are pike in this place and I am wondering if they will still hold in the tree areas or will they too be going DEEP?

I am currently using a couple of jigging rods with the tiniest of jig heads tipped with Beekley maggots, or live worms( very small pieces).

I do have access to minnows as well.

Any and all suggestions to get me in to some pike action would be appreciated.

Thanks

splashhopper and dutchy

Large minnows on a quick strike rig will work for them I tend to keep them about 2 ft off the bottom on the edge of a "green" weedline.

As well, whole smelt from the grocery store (check your regulations to make sure this is legal in the body of water you are fishing) work the same way.

Set the drag real loose on the rod and sit back and wait, just remember to tighten the drag when you go to set the hook. Also works well under a tip up style unit.

PB83

okaaaay.. .so no pike for me today.... but the bite was on for the Crappies :D

used a white micro jig with a tiny piece of worm....

I kept these ones..... and threw back a dozen smaller ones...

feb7icefishing1.jpg

This ice fishing thing just might have something to it after all :unsure: :unsure:

I really wish my crappie fishing was going as well as yours is this winter!

Anyways the only experiance i have in water that shallow is fishing for brookies with my head down the whole lol watching them strike lots of fun! Im thinking the pike will be there at some point in the day pushing baitfish but this is just a hunch NO personal experiance. Im also thinking that panfish would move up into these areas on rele warm days to sun themselves if there is as little snow where your fishing as there is here.

Also in the late late season the perch should be stacked on the inside of the weedline well the ice is still over their heads. If its safe enough to walk on this is when perch fishing is at its best. In certain conditions perch will start spawning or at least act like they are before ice out. They will eat anything presented to them when they act this way..

I have found especially with bass that every fish has its own personality. I can catch a four lb bass in a ft of water and in the same day catch an identical fish in over 12ft of water. So maybe some pike will be inside the weedline and also on the outside edge no matter the difference in water depth?? It never hurts to try new things and sometimes hunches pay off big time.

"I have found especially with bass that every fish has its own personality. I can catch a four lb bass in a ft of water and in the same day catch an identical fish in over 12ft of water. So maybe some pike will be inside the weedline and also on the outside edge no matter the difference in water depth?? It never hurts to try new things and sometimes hunches pay off big time."

Hey Curtis.... I was thinking of going shallow for the pike if the crappie were not on... but alas,,,, that will have to be next week..

It was a lot of fun catching these silly fish.... no wonder my daughter likes fishing for them all summer long B)

Edited by splashhopper

i also fish on a small shallow lake. deep hole of 17ft but i stay well away from that. i fish exclusively in water between 6 and 7 ft close to a mid-lake island and an adjacent shallow flat. big females seem to stay close to this flat throughout the winter and the fishing gets even better at ice-out. cruising in and out of feeding areas on weed breaks with subtle depth changes is where these big girls hang out. big pike don't always seek out the deepest water come winter.

store-bought frozen sardines are great bait 'cause they stink and are very soft for great hook-sets.