Toronto Salmon/Trout fishing so far 2009

humanhound

Well When I was first posted in Toronto by the airport for training (during the week) for my job I was kind of disappointed with the future fishing prospects of fishing mid week(moving from a rural area north of Kingston with countless lakes). But I have been giving it a shoot so far and testing out my fly rod skills which aren’t the best since I just picked it up last year. Pretty much I go out at least once a week for the last two months. So needless to say I had no idea what I am doing so I have been walking a lot in my waders looking at random parks on the net that have tribs running through them. So far I have been able to catch a few smaller browns (4) farther north in the tributaries (about 45 min though depending on traffic). A large number of creek chubs; Some kind of smolts not sure what wether they where salmon or trout. A Number of small rainbows (proudly 6 inche stockers I imagine ) in one “hole” that I have found close to where I am staying. They are fun to catch but throw them all back kinda small, hoping some bigger ones will move in after a rain. Tried salmon a few times but can’t stand the crowds couldn’t believe the number of plp at Erindale park on a weekday. Going out again at a smaller trib by the lake for some salmon tonight hopefully i will at least see one lol have only seen about 5 so far this season.

My wife and I were hoping to head out and do a bit around town - nothing yet though. Damned "real life" keeps getting in the way.

I was looking at some maps, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few Q's.

1) On google maps I see the humbler river has what looks to be a bunch of wiers or dams - is that right, or am I mis-interpreting a few bridges? If I'm right, do those wiers/dams ruin the salmon runs?

2) I see in the regs that the Don River has an extended season; anyone ever have luck there? I did a couple of days there last year and caught garbage - literally. Not one fish, lots of cans, pieces of rubber and whatnot.

3) If I've interpreted the regs correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) upto Sept 30 you can keep some of the salmon. Does anyone actually do that - I know their migratory, but do you really want to eat a fish that's been in Toronto harbor?

Thanx

Bryan

Well When I was first posted in Toronto by the airport for training (during the week) for my job I was kind of disappointed with the future fishing prospects of fishing mid week(moving from a rural area north of Kingston with countless lakes). But I have been giving it a shoot so far and testing out my fly rod skills which aren’t the best since I just picked it up last year. Pretty much I go out at least once a week for the last two months. So needless to say I had no idea what I am doing so I have been walking a lot in my waders looking at random parks on the net that have tribs running through them. So far I have been able to catch a few smaller browns (4) farther north in the tributaries (about 45 min though depending on traffic). A large number of creek chubs; Some kind of smolts not sure what wether they where salmon or trout. A Number of small rainbows (proudly 6 inche stockers I imagine ) in one “hole” that I have found close to where I am staying. They are fun to catch but throw them all back kinda small, hoping some bigger ones will move in after a rain. Tried salmon a few times but can’t stand the crowds couldn’t believe the number of plp at Erindale park on a weekday. Going out again at a smaller trib by the lake for some salmon tonight hopefully i will at least see one lol have only seen about 5 so far this season.

Go to Oakville... Bronte creek is full of salmon/trout....( Petro park )....

Edited by BLUE-EYES