help lowrance hds7

ok...i have this new lowrance hds7 unit on my boat..[b]i have the power wire connected to the switch on my dash and the transducer wire attached directly to the back of my hds unit[/b]...im on the lake first time and to my dissapointment..i cant get a clear picture...at some points during the day i had no bottom on my graph and at other times all i had was vertical lines all chopped up on my screen.. i know there is some kind of interference happening ..but from where?? i have had lowrance fishfinders all my life and no problems...should i hook the power wire from the battery directly to the unit and skip the switch on my dash?? can anyone help me..im not that great with electrical things ....thanks

Edited by walleyemaster

If you can post a picture of the screen it will help us trouble shoot a little better. If you are getting vertical lines it is interference of some sort. Also is the transducer new or from an older lowrance unit?

I have added some screen shots with settings from right out of the box. All I did was select the fishing preset mode of Shallow Water as most water I fish is less that 50 feet.

Here is a HDS screen image I took in shallow water yesterday. I am using the auto mode with the shallow water preset. And it seems to work great with no tweaking.

shallow.jpg

Here is a screen shot from a recording where I was jigging walleye along the base of a hump. The reason the depth shows no number is it is blank during the recording playback. Once again I am using the shallow water preset and all auto modes for the best results. I find with the HDS units the presets along with the fishing modes work the best with only a few manual over rides or adjustments.

hump.jpg

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

If you can post a picture of the screen it will help us trouble shoot a little better. If you are getting vertical lines it is interference of some sort. Also is the transducer new or from an older lowrance unit?

I have added some screen shots with settings from right out of the box. All I did was select the fishing preset mode of Shallow Water as most water I fish is less that 50 feet.

Here is a HDS screen image I took in shallow water yesterday. I am using the auto mode with the shallow water preset. And it seems to work great with no tweaking.

shallow.jpg

Here is a screen shot from a recording where I was jigging walleye along the base of a hump. The reason the depth shows no number is it is blank during the recording playback. Once again I am using the shallow water preset and all auto modes for the best results. I find with the HDS units the presets along with the fishing modes work the best with only a few manual over rides or adjustments.

hump.jpg

-sheldon

thanks eye-tracker..i was in a lake that was 27 feet max depth ..i did not enter the shallow water setting on my unit...the sonar picture on the right of the screen seemed to be working on and off every 5 seconds or so...