Salt Water Gear & Fishing Partners

yakfishcanada

Going to be in Ladysmith, on Vancouver Island in May for Paddlefest, and I am hoping to hook-up with a few fishermen and get out for one or two days of kayak fishing in the salt, on the 7th or 8th, prior to the event. I need salt water tackle and hoping I might get some suggestions from the membership regarding recommended tackle.

Also, if anybody is from the area, or going to be in the area at that time and wants to go out, let me know. I can supply extra kayaks, if needed. Thanks.

Would LOVE to join you but unfortunately I can't... Anyhow, May is kinda slow for Vancouver Island salmon fishing unless you have a proper boat with downriggers and trolling gear... However, there may be some young cohos (Bluebacks) around the inshore during your stay. Keep in mind that their stocks have diminished so much that your chances of hooking into one may be slim. If you do get one, make sure you follow the regs as there're many restrictions about fishing for and keeping salmon on the inside strait (e.g. barbless hooks only when fishing for salmon... etc.). A better alternative may be for you to try for sea-run cutthroat trout off the surrounding beaches and estruaries. I believe you can get into some pretty lightly visited locations with a kayak and so this may be a good advantage. You can also try for resident bottom fish such as cod and flounder. Just look for rocky points for cod and gravel/sandy beaches for flounder.

The best rod I can recommend is a medium action saltwater spinning set-up loaded with 10-15 lb line. This is a versatile approach for both light salmon fishing and bottomfishing. If you are going for the sea-run cutts then use a medium action freshwater rod with 6-8 lb line. As for lures, I find jigging lures to be the most effective for salmon. Some of my favorites include the 2 - 3" Buzz Bombs and Zzingers in chrome, pink, blue or green finish. The Stingsilda in green is another very good lure to use if needlefish are around. For bottomfish, leadhead jigs with plastic tails work awesome. Size and weight of the jigs will depend on the depth you're fishing and the current strength. Overall, I prefer these lure to use out of a kayak because they cast well, sink fast and do not require complicated leaders, swivels... etc. (the less knots on a kayak the better I always say...). Also, if you do get hooked up on kelp or on rocks, just drop a 4-6 oz sliding sinker and 9 times out of 10, the lure will be set free and you'll get it back. I also use mono line exclusively as you will get snagged on the bottom every now and then. It's kinda hard to break off 40-60 lb braid in a kayak with a strong current dragging you along and your hands on the rod and the line but not the paddle... If targeting cutts, try a spinner such as the Blue Fox or the Mepps. Both work well. You can also fly fish for them. A Muddler Minnow on a floating or slow sink line is my favorite. Oh, a quick tip on the cutts, look for activity (splashes and rises), if there's no activity, there's no fish... move on...

Lastly, check local reports for latest info. Here's a link to Pacific Angler in Vancouver. They have pretty up to date reports but may or may not cover your area of interest later on in the season...

http://www.pacificangler.ca/bc-fishing-rep...ng-reports.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Steve