Recent headlines in the Media concerning compounds in water and wastewater. NF

bucktail

I have replied to the thread about this under the fishing news but felt compelled to post this on the regular board due to the amount of questions I have been receiving over the last few weeks on recent headlines.

Recent headlines have highlighted the discovery of various chemical compounds in our lakes that have detrimental effects on the fish populations due to hormonal disruptions.

These compounds are called endocrin disrupters and the adversely effect the reproduction of fish species and other animals exposed to these compounds.

Since this is my field of expertise. I think that the some of the sensatinlizing of this story needs to be put in context.

I have spent the last 23 years in the field of water and wastewater treatment.

The discovery of endocrin disruptors is not a recent find. This has been at the fore front of water and wastewater research for the last 5-7 years. For some reason the media decided to run with the story of late and of course never bothered to follow up on progress that has been made in this field.

This would have been a good article 6 years ago but it doesnt inform the public of the treatment options that are being utilized to eliminate and destroy these compounds.

The category of endocrin disruptors is a broad category that encompasses all traces of drugs that have a hormonal effect on fish that live in the receiving waters of wastewater plants.

There are two main ways of limiting this effect on the environment.

1. Proper disposal of Medications...... Take them back to the pharmacy for disposal.

2. Destruction of the compounds in wastewater effluent and water intakes thru the use of advanced oxidation methods ( ozonation and ultra violet light) and becoming more common is the use of nanofiltration by membrane filtration.

Currently in the Region of Halton and many other municipalities in Ontario, ozone, UV and nanofiltration have been added to the existing facilities. These treatments destroy the compounds and reduce there concentrations by between 95 and 99%

This reduces levels from the parts per billions to the parts per trillions. Making this a non issue in most larger municipalities.

Of course continuing research is ongoing to improve these techniques and make them even more effective.

Before and after Walkerton these efforts have been in place and have been making most Ontario municipal water supplies the most secure and highest quality in the world.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line and I will be more then happy to answer any questions.

Darren