Breaking in my newly bought Okuma Scheffield Rod & Reel Today!

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hi All,

with all great suggestions from you guys,

I finally bought a reel+rod combo deal from Bronte Sports yesterday.

The combo has 13'6 IM-9 Scheffield Rod & 4.5" Scheffield Reel and the price

was $350+tax. I thought it was a good deal for a float fishing beginner like me.

Since I couldnt wait until next weekend, I decided to go fishing on Sunday despite of the weather forcast ...

woke up @ 4:00am and realized how bad the weather was ....... hesitated for 3 seconds and off I went!

decided to go Saugeen river because it is open fielld so that I can practice without tangling up with others.

Instead of 2.5 hours of driving ... I ended up spending 4.5 hours due to terrible cold/windy condition.

got there around 8:00am and I was one of five people there ...

water 5ft away from the shoreline was frozen and still lotsa water for fishing ..

so ... i spent the next 5 hours, casting and casting and casting .. still couldnt

cast more than 5ft from my tip ... really disappointed ... not to mentioned lines got tangled

numerious times ...

and i noticed that ice kept forming on my lines ... and eventually got to the size that

I dont know how to take them off!

suddenly, i was hit by a HUGE block of ice! was afraid of damaging my neoprene wader by ice slicing ..

I quickly decided to call it the day ....

Anyhow, once again, I am asking for helps ...

1. How can I take those ice off my line?

2. Have anyone ever got his neoprene wader cut by ice?

3. Anything I should know about maintaining my reel?

(i was afraid of reeling in lines with ice ... coz' I was once told not to put water on reel ... especially float reel)

4. what is the difference between float reel and fly reel? it seems to me that they can do the same job but fly reel is way cheaper

Thanks!

(i was afraid of reeling in lines with ice ... coz' I was once told not to put water on reel ... especially float reel)

4. what is the difference between float reel and fly reel? it seems to me that they can do the same job but fly reel is way cheaper

I dunno about the other float guys on this board but I have never hesitated to drop my reel in the water. I have never had a problem with it. In regards to questions about the fly reel against float reel. The fly reel tends to have a drag system and also doesnt free spool like a Float reel does. Once you get your float reel working and oiled right you should be able to give it a good spin and it should spin for a long time. Like a guy I know says if your float reel is working good you should be able to light a smoke spin the reel and by the time your done your smoke it should still be spinning. I don't know if mine has ever really spun that long but its kind of funny to hear him say that.

Geoff