Grand Eye

pikehunter

We headed out to the river on Thursday past in the morning. As typical we trolled through or lucky spots and received several nice hits and lost a couple. So with this encouragement we continued onto the next past productive location downstream...just where the skydivers float overhead nearby but none were up there that morning. Bang! "Got one! Get the net! It's a monster!" Yes it was big and had a deep girth, but it was jst a sheephead, first one for him this year so it was exiting to have Jr land it. A quick picture with the camera phone and back it went.

On the way back up stream I got a hit. A good one, felt like a train hit my spinner. Bringing it in I swore it felt like a big cat hugging the bottom. I did say in fact "Ah Allen, it's only a catfish, damn I don't feel like going through the unhooking procedure for a homely old catfish." Soon as it was near the boat it rolled up to the surface and I hollered for PH Jr. to get the net! It was a Walleye! Sure didn't feel like one, but it was. It measured in at just over 20" and was fat and deep. A decision had to be made, back to the water for it or home to the batter and frying pan. Since this was the first for the year for us the frying pan won. This one fish was actually just a little too much for the three of us to dine on, however we managed it.

A couple more troll pasts and a couple more hits with nothing to show for it so we packed it in for the day and just made it home to the garage just before the storm hit. Almost perfect timing.

Pictures? I have to get after PH Jr to download them from his phone for posting here, that's why my report has been delayed, I decided to post anyway as a post from me has been a long time coming.

BTW, the lucky lure for the day, Mepps with a worm. Tried dragging a variety of cranks but nothing happened till we went back to the Mepps.