Your Privacy.

bigfish1965

I want to thank the person who brought this to my attention.

Another board has accused us of reading your Personal Messages. First, let me say a few things about your privacy. We are firmly committed to protecting your privacy at all costs. We will not knowingly give out and private information. We have taken great pains here to lock out email harvesters and to ensure this software is the most secure fishing site anywhere. We have daily backups, built-in virus protection, SQL injection protection and many other features which protect you the members.

Now, every single database driven message board on earth has one thing in common. All the text is stored in a database. It has to be somewhere so you can read it. There is no built in feature to read your messages. We certainly could go into the database and read them. They are encrypted and you would need to know the encryption code. So even if someone got into the data, they would also need to know the md5 and salt we use.

Every other message board does not encrypt the text. It is a simple matter of making a SQL query to the appropriate places.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You have my word and that of all involved that it does not and will not happen. We would only supply this information under court order.

Anyone telling you that Invision has built in PM readers for moderators or admins is telling you a lie. Invision offers free trial versions of this software, download one and look for yourself.

We will be publishing an official privacy policy for everyone's protection.

Absolutely correct. An Admin cannot read PMs, at least very easily with IPB - there is no PM "reader" available for PMs. However, e-mails sent through the IPB can be easily read. There is propably a warning that tells you of this fact when you try to e-mail through the board.

Raf is correct. We are required to keep email logs by law. This prevents spam and since our servers are based in the US are bound by their laws. The difference is emails are sent off the server, PMs are not.

Canadian law also requires email logs be kept for a period of time. Again, these logs are only available by court order.

Raf's right, I checked out the email option and a warning pops up reminding you that the email is not secure.

Stuff that's private (home addresses & phone numbers, etc.) should probably be taken care of via direct email.

I find PMs handy but I wouldn't say anything that I wouldn't want to share (except fishing spots, perhaps).

Mike

Well that's just perfect, I mean sure it all sounds good in theory but what if you are wrong? Then any stranger can come on here and find out I like fishing and some other things and that I have picked for my nickname my dog's name so I would remember it. If that gets out I'm doomed. DOOMED!

Guest gbfisher

I guess that it is a simple act of jealousy.OFC wannabe's :P

You can say that AGAIN squid.... :blahblah1:

You mean the ones who can't fish but try and teach...LOL.. :worthy::lol:

I always say...its just a fishing forum...DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! (as the key board gets wiped dry).....BWAHAHAHAHA.... :dunno::P

:Gonefishing:

Guest gbfisher

oh don't be so sure....trouble has a way of following me around... :dunno:;):D

But the migration was flawless after a few hundred pms and well.. :blush: .. fixing my typing skills... :blink:

Guest gbfisher

Well I will try and grab some but last time I cheched they were all sold out... :unsure:

Are we fishing at least 200 yards from shore? I hear you have to fish that distance if you want to catch but hey...what do I know :angel:

:Gonefishing: