Opinions needed please...

Gerritt

I Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Now I hope I am not opening a can of worms here but I have to buy a new boat seeing as how my current rig wants to kill me! lol

I will be adding a new sonar to this boat as well and I need to know your opinions on a Mid-Priced Sonar that has excellent bottom detail in the $300.00-$500.00 range

Lowrance?

Garmin?

Eagle?

Any models I should be looking at? anything considered a "best buy"??

Any models I should avoid?

and if you could include a link to the model you recommend? that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

I am a lowrance fan bud it is the best by far in my eyes. You can go to their website and download their emulator and take it for a test ride before you buy the unit. You might also go to tigergps.com and check their prices they seem to have a better price most of the time.

Art

Humminbird 585c http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?id=643

In addition to all the other options, I really like the ability to change the back light colour. Rather than night-vision screwing white, you can select black or navy blue backrounds. Still all the visibility without the blinding white lit screen that is horrible at night.

Lowrance seems to have a very loyal following, but compare prices and options as with any semi-large purchase.

On Lowrance, do their colour units show anything but purple/orange?

Tony

Yes Tony. Mine has:

* Large7" (17.8 cm) diagonal VGA, 16-bit color, SolarMax™ TFT display

* Incredible 480V x 640H resolution

* Advanced cold cathode screen and keypad backlighting

* Multiple full- and split-screen sonar/GPS options

* Programmable color palette

* 6 sonar display color choices

Gerritt,

I prefer Lowarance's Eagle brand for the $$$, and little less in the features department but great units and will provide you with the data you need.

Are you looking for a combo GPS/sonar unit, or just sonar? Are you considering a separate GPS unit?

Again, Lowarance is very reliable, as is Garmin (Garmin delveoped GPS with th US miltary, so their units may be a little more advanced)

I would stay away from Hummingbird, they seem to lag behind in the technology department (just my .02 worth)

John

There is a reason why most people will mention Lowrance, because the have been the freshwater electronics leader for as long as I can remember. I was a die hard Lowrance fan for many years myself because I am a technology junky that likes to own the best, and I still really like them a lot.

Don't be so quick to discount Humminbird though, as they are an entirely new animal completly as a couple of years ago. Believe it or not, Humminbird is every bit as good as Lowrance today. I have owned Humminbird for 2 years now, and I love the new technology. I know it is hard to wrap your heads around this fact, as Lowrance has dominated the market forever, but it is true.

It is going to take Hummnbird many years for people to realize how good their new technology is now, as they have had an inferior product to Lowrance for way too long.

I'm sure you will be very happy with a Humminbird or Lowrance. I would recommend looking at all the units at your price point, and getting the model you like best with the features you want.

Happy electronics hunting.

Congrats on the new boat!

Aaron