McConnell Lake area

bbog

Hi Everyone,

The significant other was the first female junior ranger many, many years ago and now wants to revisit the area she worked (McConnell Lake). We are planning a trip up there the second week of August and was looking for suggestions on good fishing lakes in the area. We'll be fishing out of a canoe and know that the area support a variety of trout, walleye, bass and pike.

Our campsite will be at one of Boland Lake, Blue Lake or Little McDougal Lake. Any suggestions anyone can offer as to what to find/where/techniques (have no trout experience from a canoe - but do have portable downriggers) would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions on nearby lakes to try would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Barn

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

• 8 years later...

Barnie,

Did you ever make it to the McConnell Lake area? It's been 8 years since you posted your inquiry. It appears that nobody ever responded and I'm unable to find any helpful information re the quality of the fishing in this area. The website for the campground emphasizes the beauty of the area but offers nothing whatsoever about the fishing. Hmmmm.

I'm considering heading there in early September and was wondering if you could comment on your experience. Prefer brookies and smallmouth but I'm happy to catch any species as long as there is decent action.

Any information about you (or others in this forum) can provide about the quality of the fishing in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Dymond is usually extremely slow for walleye and pike (would never waste my time fishing there anymore), can be good for smallmouth. The only half decent walleye fishing you will find up that road is going out on lake temiscaming down at mclarens bay, but that's big water for a canoe. Many of the once brook trout lakes are now infested with bass (especially Boland, Emerald and Threetrails) so you will have no problem with the smallies as well as hammer handles on Sucker and Serene. Of all the stocked trout fishing up there, rainbows will be your best for the time you're going. Orient is heavily stocked (and heavily fished) and can produce good days, as well as Jimmie and Wyse. The tiny pot hole lakes are stocked with brook trout and are generally a very tough fish. Nobody I know around here really bothers fishing any of those lakes anymore, but you can still catch them if you're persistent. Message me if you have any more questions.

My brother and I (mostly my brother) have hit those lakes upward of 500 times. What else to do when you work there and your shift is over at 4pm?

I don't fish the area anymore so might as well pass on some honeyholes to fellow OFCers...

Couple honey holes others probably aren't aware of; Green Lake can be good for brookies depending on their mood. Since you're on a canoe the nasty launch won't be a problem. Located at 46.807294, -79.246702.

Another good spot for brookies is Quarry Lake, it's rarely fished and needs to be portaged into; 46.728506, -79.354081. Launch at McConnell, the portage is located in the SW arm of the lake. It should be easy to locate the portage. The guys at the quarry actually cut a trail into this lake about 6 years ago, so maybe you could ask them for access.

Blue lake is LOADED with perch, if you're bringing along kids, maybe that could be a fun spot. Also Lakers in there.

For pike, Sucker Lake without a doubt. I would C&R here though.

Reynolds Lake was producing monster walleye for years, despite its small size. Turns out the MNR was unaware there were walleye in there, and they were constantly stocking it with little specks. Whoops?

You can get bass almost anywhere. No real size unfortunately.

@Joeytier; it really is sad how bad some of the lakes have become, last time I fished Threetrails all I caught were dink smallies.

Edited by Sterling

Green has only really had a good access for a few years. I have talked to people that used to fish there before there was a proper trail in and it was a fantastic fishery. I've gone there a few times in the past few years. You are lucky to catch one over 5-6". With multiple campgrounds and a lodge within spitting distances of these lakes (not to mention free advertising on places like here) the MNR needs to get way more serious with restrictions if they want to bring that area back to anywhere near its potential.

Blue is good for splake fishing these days, but the natural lake trout are pretty well gone now (hence the stocking). Haven't heard of a laker coming out of there in years. There are a few good lake trout lakes in the area that I still fish, but that's about the only time I go back there anymore. Too bad

Green has only really had a good access for a few years. I have talked to people that used to fish there before there was a proper trail in and it was a fantastic fishery. I've gone there a few times in the past few years. You are lucky to catch one over 5-6". With multiple campgrounds and a lodge within spitting distances of these lakes (not to mention free advertising on places like here) the MNR needs to get way more serious with restrictions if they want to bring that area back to anywhere near its potential.

Blue is good for splake fishing these days, but the natural lake trout are pretty well gone now (hence the stocking). Haven't heard of a laker coming out of there in years. There are a few good lake trout lakes in the area that I still fish, but that's about the only time I go back there anymore. Too bad

Green lake with no real access? Sounds amazing - I've only ever fished it when there was "road" access.

Never actually fished Blue, only seen boats dragging riggers. So I guess it is splakes they're catching.

• 5 years later...