Looks like my boating season is over with..

Gerritt

Well I think I may be fux0red. I noticed while up in Killarney that my boat seemed to be taking on a "More then Usual" amount of water. It has always leaked a bit... but 12" in 2 hours??!!?? upon further inspection this weekend then Main Seam in the middle of the hull is cracked right in half.. and has a piece missing from it... DANG! I will post a couple pics when I get a chance to take them. I dont feel this boat is seaworthy any longer and did not feel safe in it myself (boating all my life) not to mention letting my brother-in-law take it out as a newbie.. Time to say goodbye to her and take her to the great smelter in the sky.... (What's aluminium selling for these days on the scrap market?)

If anyone has a line on an affordable 14-16' tinny I am all ears!

Gerritt.

There's a product that you buy in a tube...it's kinda like putty. You take it out of the tube, blend it and apply it and in about an hour, you can put it back in the water. The stuff is grindable and paintable. If I were you I'd try to fix your boat before you scrap it.

Post some pics Gerritt-lots of us here have done complete renos on boats.

I rebuilt wear rings on aluminum pumps of merc sportjets with 2 part epoxy you mentioned fishnfiend-great stuff for some aps. Not sure it would be right choice to repair the skin on a tinny tho-maybe to smooth out an overlapping patch tho.

If cracks far enough forward a patch rivetted on, gluvit on seams and then epoxy as body filler would be good-with a keel guard on top.

i may have a 14' fiberglass for sale, with trailer. trailer is worth $300. boat is free.

if you want a 20hp johnson, you tell me what that is worth. i think doug may have been in the boat, not sure, but i think so. the motor is a 2000, long shaft... we have a custom aluminum transom on the boat.

the motor has about 20 hours on it.

I dont know if epoxy based products would do it in this situation... the rib that is busted runs right down the centre of the boat from bow to stern. This boat is not a deep-v is it has a very flat bottom, and takes alot of pounding when running (floor flexes like no tomorrow) there are a few horizontal cross members that are cracked as well (interior of the hull) I dont think a quick fix would hold out given the situation and the fact that the crack is located directly in the centre of the boat where the boat takes the most abuse...

Some OFC'rs have made some generous offers both in terms selling a new vessel and loaning me one they are not currently using. Thank you guys! this is what OFC is all about!

Gerritt.