Lake Simcoe Whitefish

I am thinking of trying my hand at catching some Lake Simcoe Whitefish. While I know my basics with bass and pike on the lake, I have never fished for this species before and need some helpful advice from those who fish Simcoe for them. Is mid-summer fishing for whitefish ok or is this really a spring and fall fish for open water? What depth should I be focusing on if I was to try? Is jigging spoons the way to go or live bait? Any specific structure to look for on my electronics? Any particular part of the day produces better then others.

Any advice would be appreciated and if you want to share an area that I should focus on or even a honey hole, please note I can be bribed.

last summer i was in barry's bay(dont know the name of the lake but it was rather small) july 1-5 and i was catching whitefish in no more than 5 feet of water with a bobber and a worm i caught 2 decent sized ones 12 inches and 14 inches, i dont know about simcoe but these ones i caught were in the shallow water oh ya and the water had weedy parts but mostly sandy bottom

Edited by bassmaster4

I was out last weekend for whities/lakers. We caught 6 whities, and 2 lakers. 80 FOW, between snake and fox island shoals. They are down there, just keep jigging. We caught them on either the #60 williams half and half, or a green/black badboy with a green 2"tube. Watch your graph closely.....zoom right in if you can......if you mark them, usually you catch them.

Look for the boats fishing out there......you'll see them.

Sinker

• 9 years later...

I'm pretty sure whitefish have to be small at some point before they get big :)

Also, if your only experience with whitefish is on Simcoe, then you will have a very skewed idea for what is average size on 99% of water bodies that they inhabit. 12" is right about average for them on many many lakes.

Those "whitefish" or "herring" sound like fallfish to me haha, there's no way there would be whitefish or cisco that shallow in July even with a cool spring.

If there's a mayfly hatch or similar, they'll be shallow. The fish don't care what month it is.

i know this is an old thread,but 12 and 14"

thats not whitefish,maybe herring.....

Haha oh man i seen this thread pop up and read that and was a little embarrassed i was a young guy back then and looking back at it now definately wouldve been herring ?

P.S thanks for bringing up an old thread to roast me haha ?

Edited by bassmaster4

i know this is an old thread,but 12 and 14"

thats not whitefish,maybe herring.....

Simcoe, here in the bay, has had a big boom of small white fish this year. Naturals. Smallest I caught was about 9". Last winter, I was getting many in the 14"-17" range. I had a few say they were herring. They need to know their fish I guess.

If there's a mayfly hatch or similar, they'll be shallow. The fish don't care what month it is.

That is true, fish do weird stuff (and nothing is out of the realm of possibility as Cisco are extremely tough for a coldwater fish habitat wise). It's just Barry's Bay is an area that has fallfish, in habitat that screams fallfish, featuring a shiny fish that is a foot long or so which also can describe a fallfish ;)