Flyin help

jnic

Hi all, looking for a trip where the walleye are typically bigger, you see some places say average 3 to 5 pounds. Be realistically looking for somewhere where every fourth or fifth fish is on the good side of 2 plus. Has anyone experienced where the walleye are actually bigger on average thanks

Fly to bay of quinte  they have monsters

I went on a flyin where they said large walleye many caught in the double digits 

as we waited to be boarded in the lounge I saw they had albums of photos from each lake they flew to

not one photo of a walleye was over 6 pounds   I know if someone had a 10lb + fish there would be a photo in the album 

so , no I can’t help you 

• Haha 2

Take a look at Lac Seul in NW Ontario. Might be the best Walleye lake on the planet, certainly in the top 10. Quantity and quality. Lots of fish over 25", with legitimate 30's. Easy to bring 50 fish a day to the boat.

It's a massive lake, and although there are some drive in camps, there are also remote fly-in camps in the far reaches of the system. We stayed at Lac Seul Outposts (highly recommend them)...it's a 45km boat ride from the nearest road, so it certainly feels very remote. You can fish all day and not see another boat. Nice thing about LSO is you can bring your own boat, so you can have all your gear and electronics. And you don't have to worry about weight restrictions...bring all the suds and steaks you want.

Great Pike fishing too, and also some big bonus Smallmouth. It's also home to big big Musky...in fact, that's what most guys in camp were chasing...the next world record.

20220913_181242.jpg

20220914_113423.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

When you say a trip do you want a fly in or a long drive to Northern Ontario? Depending where you live I know that Erieau just outside Chatham  will get you some real hogs. We fish there a lot cause it is so close and  catching  4, 5 ,6 pound walleye is very common.  My best day I caught an 11 pounder.  Nice because the limit is  6 fish.  If you are not familiar with the lake people at the marina  or bait shop will help. Very friendly.

• Like 1

PM Jason Meyer on this forum, he has a few lakes to choose from. I can say without question if you're up for it, the Albany River (he had 2 locations, not sure if that's still the case, 1 is for sure though) is absolutely worth the trip. They fly out of Nakina  

• Like 1

There's a lake in the Chapleau Game Preserve where I put 3 fish over 30in into the boat in a single day, along with a bonus 32in giant for my buddy Mike..   Gotta hump in from an adjacent lake however.    

Edited by BillM

On 5/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, jnic said:

Ya looking for a fly or drive to trying to keep it east of Thunder Bay. I am from  the Ottawa area, Erie sounds similar to the st Lawrence great fishing but like to hit the  bush. Thanks for the replys.

From my experience the best  Walleye fishing (other than the Great Lakes...Erie, Quinte, G Bay) for quality fish is west of Thunder Bay. Lake of the Woods, Lac Seul, Eagle Lake, Wabigoon, the English River system are all Walleye factories that kick out quantity and size. All these lakes have the bonus of shots at a big Musky, which you won't find east of Thunder Bay in northern Ontario. 

Reach out to "limeyangler" on this site...he's right in the thick of it.

Ottawa to Dryden...leave at 6am, drive shifts, you'll be there at midnight same day. Sometimes it's worth the drive..

Edited by CrowMan

Hey all thanks for the replies just couldn’t find a place around Nakina, next year gonna book earlier with more guys looks like cochrane air. French springer or unknown any feedback would be great booking in 2 days

On 5/23/2023 at 8:33 PM, jnic said:

Hi all, looking for a trip where the walleye are typically bigger, you see some places say average 3 to 5 pounds. Be realistically looking for somewhere where every fourth or fifth fish is on the good side of 2 plus. Has anyone experienced where the walleye are actually bigger on average thanks

Have you ever considered Kipawa? It's not a fly in. Alwaki lodge is a 14 mile boat ride and Kipawa lodge is another 8 miles past there, you'd think you were at a fly in destination with how few boats you'll see. Lakers, Walleye, Pike and Smallies are all abundant and always chances at trophy size fish, my best Walleye there is over 11 lb. It's an absolutely gorgeous lake that will have you wanting to return  year after year.

Cheers

On 5/23/2023 at 9:23 PM, Terry said:

Fly to bay of quinte  they have monsters

I went on a flyin where they said large walleye many caught in the double digits 

as we waited to be boarded in the lounge I saw they had albums of photos from each lake they flew to

not one photo of a walleye was over 6 pounds   I know if someone had a 10lb + fish there would be a photo in the album 

so , no I can’t help you 

Quinte is devoid of big fish by the time of the opener. Resident fish are all on the small side and the numbers aren't anywhere near the days of old.

No flyin req'd. 

Lake Erie is your best bet for a large 'eye. They migrate east from the detroit river post spawn and make it all the way to Port Glasgow by the end of July.  There is also a east to west migration coming out of the Niagara, big fish start showing up out from Nanticoke around mid July as well.

Remember, all the big ones are Female.

With the right setup, limits of 6 per angler are possible with 2-3 hours if you know what your doing. Most will run around 22".  My biggest to date was 9.5 lbs. Should have put it back, they're not great table fare at that size.

• Like 1

Just need to say, If you drive Ottawa to Dryden one shot, you will not want to fish for 2 days.

But that is the area for lots of big ones in the bush.

Watsons pine portage is a good spot a fair bit closer

I went to Drydan last year, Temple Bay Lodge.  It's a drive in but I wouldn't suggest doing it in one day even in shifts, it's a long haul. The fishing was like nothing I have ever seen before. I didn't count but one of the other guests reported 19 casts, 19 walleye and I don't doubt it, it was one after another. 

Now, they weren't monsters but they were good size and very agressive. It was some fantastic fishing for sure. Not only that but we caught lots of pike, smallmouth, and even some great perch. A side trip yealded some of the best lake trout fishing I have ever seen.

I am heading up to Chapleau on the 17 for a week. I haven't fished there before but Bordon lake has a great reputation and Chapleau Lodge rates very highly. I'll post a full report on my return but so far all my research indicates great fishing, awesom variety, and I  couldn't find a negitive review that made any sense. The rates are good and it's only about 8.5 hours drive from my place.