Help with advice

Svirid469

I am new to fishing and recently moved to Canada. I live in London. Could you tell me some rivers and lakes nearby where I can go fishing? What should I use to fish (lures, worms, or something else) and what kind of fish are found there. I would like to catch big fish, not small ones. Thank you very much for your advice.

Edited by Svirid469

Welcome, Fishing takes a lifetime to learn and it will also teach you many valuable lessons. Part of it is reading but the big part is to find someone who fishes and see if you can barter a trip with them. I started off hanging out at a local boat ramp and fishing from the dock. Looking at what people have on their rods when they pull in kind of lets you get familiar with different baits and ask them if they had any luck. if someone seems friendly and answers your questions you might ask them if they would like to have you fish with them from their boat. Tell them a little about yourself and offer to bring them a great lunch and chip in for fuel. That is how I met my mentor who gave me 30 years of companionship, wisdom and morality that has served me well. 

Cheers 

Art

• Like 4

I have always learned by doing, no matter what you are trying to learn . It's the best teacher around. Find a stretch of river or quiet lakeside and go for it. I walked my local stretch of river, pond or beach from around 10 years old 'till I came to Canada. Here, I did the same thing, not as often as I was married with marital responsibilities. You will learn what works and what doesn't and species in that water. As Art says be like a sponge and absorb knowledge from locals on and around the water, most will share their experience, if not their favourite spots...🙂

• Like 1

If you want to shorten the learning curve spend a day with a guide or charter. Pay attention and ask lots of questions. It will be money well invested.

If you want as you say  to "catch big fish, not small ones", book a guide/ charter on Lake St.Clair...it's not far from London. Probably one of the best Musky lakes around for numbers.

In the spring and fall, if you want to fish rivers, there are a number of guides that do float trips for Steelhead on the Lake Huron rivers...again not far.

• Like 1