Small 16 legend needs a new battery... 24 or 27?

Raycaster

I took the boat out of storage and after leaving the battery in the boat found it completely dead. Its a group 27 2015 so it doesn't owe me anything.

Topped it up with distilled water and charged it but it never got above 60%...

I have 2 @ 27DC upfront for the trolling motor and thought that if I could loose a little weight dropping down to a 24 for the main battery it's probably a good plan.

I realize it comes down to cranking and capacity specs but they are all over the place on the ones I have a looked at.

I have spent a day googling and it seems like a logical score: 50% say save the money and weight as I only have 1 sonar and front and back lights and 50% say don't be cheap and just get the 27 and be done with it.

I'm leaning on the 24 side as I less weight is always good and I have the 27 Deep Cycles as emergency if needed..

Again, the weight and cash difference isn't much... Sorry too cheap to go lithium..

FourStroke Models
9.9/15 & 25
465 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 350 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
30/40, 45/50
Operation Above 32�F (0�C) 465 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 350 Cold Cranking AMPS (CCA) Operation Below 32�F (0�C)
1000 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 750 Cold Cranking AMPS (CCA)
75/90
Operation Above 32�F (0�C) 465 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 350 Cold Cranking AMPS (CCA) Operation Below 32�F (0�C)
1000 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 750 Cold Cranking AMPS (CCA) Ampere-Hours (Ah) 70 - 100

Basically the 24s seem even overkill as they are rated at 675 / 65 /120...

Edited by Raycaster

My thinking is you cannot have to much battery, sitting in reserve! The average difference between a group 24 and group 27 is approx. 13-15 pounds. Look around your boat for things that you have in and get rid of the non essentials. You can likely find those few pounds. Dam if you're anything like me, loose that weight by going on a diet: the doctor, your wife and you'd feel better? LOL

Dan...  

• Haha 1