Getting excited: Borden Lake trip June 17 to 23

Big Cliff

Last year on my trip with Mad Jack he mentioned that he has been fishing Chapleau lodge (Borden Lake) for many years. My best friend and long time fishing buddy Ken has been wanting to get away for a trip and one of his choices was Chapleau Lodge. After my conversations with Jack and reading every review I could find it looked pretty much like a no brainer so we booked it. 

Now the excitement builds, checking our gear, planning the food, the trip itself, reviewing maps of the lake, the route.... 

Just courious, anyone else fished the lake? Stayed at Chapleau Lodge? Any tips? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Now the excitement builds, checking our gear, planning the food, the trip itself, reviewing maps of the lake, the route....

Prepping and planning is one of my favourite pre trip activities Cliff, it keeps the excitement level at max.  ;)

I hope you and Ken have a wonderful trip pal.

• Like 2

Hi Big Cliff: I have a friend who has been fishing on Borden Lake  and he says it is fantastic.  There are some areas where you can't fish but the people at the lodge should be able to show you where that is.  Take lots of bug spray as when you get into June  it gets pretty bad especially at dusk. We have been to Horwood Lake just down the road from Chapleau  and the fishing was amazing. Place was called Big Bear Camp. Hope you have a great time. Brit PS: We used to fish at Lindsay on Sturgeon Lake  but the last time we were there we hardly caught a thing. Then we heard Lake Scugog has been closed for a while. We really liked gong there because the lake is so nice. Best part was going into Lindsay for a Kawartha Lakes ice cream cone at the little cone shop downtown. YUM YUM Let me know how the lodge turned out. We have been thinking of going there.

I lived on Sturgeon lake (Snug Harbour) for 16 years. If you ever want to fish it again, let me know. I might be able to show you a few spots😊

3 hours ago, Britton Grant said:

Hi Big Cliff: I have a friend who has been fishing on Borden Lake  and he says it is fantastic.  There are some areas where you can't fish but the people at the lodge should be able to show you where that is.  Take lots of bug spray as when you get into June  it gets pretty bad especially at dusk. We have been to Horwood Lake just down the road from Chapleau  and the fishing was amazing. Place was called Big Bear Camp. Hope you have a great time. Brit PS: We used to fish at Lindsay on Sturgeon Lake  but the last time we were there we hardly caught a thing. Then we heard Lake Scugog has been closed for a while. We really liked gong there because the lake is so nice. Best part was going into Lindsay for a Kawartha Lakes ice cream cone at the little cone shop downtown. YUM YUM Let me know how the lodge turned out. We have been thinking of going there.

Hi Big Cliff: Thanks for the offer but I doubt we will be going back any time soon. We used to stay at Lunge Haven when Karen and Rob owned it but they sold it to some people in Toronto and it went downhill. The last couple of years we rented a cottage on the lake just past the big marina just outside Lunge Haven. There was a little creek beside it and some cabins across from it for rent there. It was nice. We used to fish by the golf course and near a spot where a power cable ran into the lake. Also on the other side of the lake a creek ran under the highway into the lake and we used to have good luck there. Even fished the channel into Lake Scugog. Good luck at Chapleau. Hope you have a nice time!

• Like 1

Fished that lake three years ago. Trolling for pickerel didn't really work for us. We headed up to the top end of the lake.  Look for the Eagle flying around. It was very attentive to any fish you released and swooped down several times for an easy meal. Jigged for pickerel around there and did very well. Yellow and green jigs with minnows did the trick. The Diving School is very interesting to check out as well.  I think the instructors name is Paul. A very nice and informative guy. 

• Thanks 1