Transom vs beam width

Weeds

You’ll have to forgive me if I’ve asked this question before, like 15 years ago, my memory is terrible. I’ve had a few 12 and 14 foot cheap tin boats over the years. The kind that swell out to 60-65 inch beams but narrow considerably at the transom, 50-55 inches perhaps. This time around I’m looking for something that has a decent transom width, I’m thinking 67 inches plus, in a 14 foot boat. Does that extra width in the transom provide much benefit, beyond looking much more robust? Stability? Fishability? I figure wider is better but is there any sort of consensus regarding minimum transom width in a 14 footer? Thanks

Yes, a wider transom can provide benefits in terms of stability and fishability, as it offers better weight distribution and allows for more space to move around. However, this may also make the boat a bit heavier and possibly slower. In the end, it's really about personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.

I believe small boats have a weight of boat to surface area on the water sweet spot.  Light boat and big area is unstable.  Too much weight and the boat rides low and is hard to push.  
say a car topper with a 5hp VS a heavy 12’ with a15hp.  The car topper is too small  you can no longer stand up and walk around.   A boat you can walk around in will be heavy enough that you need a trailer.  
The transom width is not the deciding factor.  
so I would look for 400lb or more boat weight so I can walk around.  
or you are sitting all the time.
if you plan on sitting all the time then look for a solid 12’.  A deep one but average surface area on the water will be best.  

I just bought it this afternoon so she’s all mine for better or worse. Ultracraft 14 foot. Not a big seller in this part of the world, or possibly anywhere but seems clean and solid . 30 hp US coast guard max, 20 transport Canada. What’s up with that?

108CD8CA-0107-4DD5-8571-CCBACDD5C75E.jpeg

Edited by Weeds
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, glen said:

Don’t know why it has two hp ratings.  

I bought a new Crestliner back in '99 and it had 2 HP ratings also. U.S. Coastguard rated it for 90 HP and the Canadians rated it for 50HP. 

I checked with my insurance company and they said that seeing as the boat was built in the U.S. they'd accept the American rating of 90HP.

17 hours ago, Weeds said:

I just bought it this afternoon so she’s all mine for better or worse. Ultracraft 14 foot. Not a big seller in this part of the world, or possibly anywhere but seems clean and solid . 30 hp US coast guard max, 20 transport Canada. What’s up with that?

108CD8CA-0107-4DD5-8571-CCBACDD5C75E.jpeg

Nice rig why the concern I can see many happy days on that

ill say it again know the conditions around and it’s all good!

get out there

peter

On 5/15/2023 at 6:09 PM, Weeds said:

30 hp US coast guard max, 20 transport Canada. What’s up with that?

Sounds abought right with the 72 cent Canadian dollar. 30 x .72.... :D

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only have one fishing buddy so I figure I’m adequately powered. Rest of the time I’ll be fishing solo.  Maybe a few more ponies down the line at some point might be nice.

build a little casting deck out of plywood and carpet...a bow mount TM and youve got yourself a fishing machine. 

Some days i miss the simpler times running my tin rig.

Thanks for input guys. Looking forward to getting out. Has a tilt trailer too. Watched a few videos, looks like it could be advantageous occasionally. I think I’m kinda of small water (but hopefully big fish) fisherman at heart.

Thanks for input guys. Looking forward to getting out. Has a tilt trailer too. Watched a few videos, looks like it could be advantageous occasionally. I think I’m kinda of small water (but hopefully big fish) fisherman at heart.

Don’t underestimate your tin rig. I fished Georgian bay in mine for years. Pick your spots, watch the weather, get navionics for your phone or pick up a cheap helix 7 and use it as an ice flasher in the winter. I navigated the disaster that is the water around pointe au baril for years exploring and never once hit a thing.