Orillia Perch Derby

Fisherman

16 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Looks like it's come back to life.  https://www.orillia.com/perchfestival

Lots of chatter on the prices for launching and parking and the very much lack of shore fishing. They need to work on ticket holders getting free launch and work on shore fishing access .

Use to be a great event when the kids were young. We fished many places from shore.

• Like 1

I remember when I got my new boat in '96, first ride was just a test ride in K Bay, 2nd ride went to Orillia, caught a $1000 perch and the wife got a dishwasher,  now that's a happy wife, happy life.  I may take a recce run up there to see what the parking and launching is like, haven't been there for about 4-5 years.

Edited by Fisherman

Update.  Took a ride up to Orillia this morning, first stop Trombly's,  hmm, open at 8 for Saturday, 10 on Sundays, must only have "afternoon anglers" on weekends.  Rest of the week, it's 9am.  Didn't ask how much, didn't want to suffer a Schwarzennegger size tumour.   Then off to Fisherman's Cove,  docks in, water seems a bit high.  There's room to park 8, maybe 9 truck/trailers.  Everywhere else along that loop and street has the big No Parky, ticky zone.  Off across the highway to Thudhope Park,  unless my eyes deceived me, I didn't see any pay parking signs or ticket dispensers.  Then off to Centennial Park, disaster,  closed completely for construction.   I didn't go to any of the marina's like blue Beacon to check for launch and park/fees.  That's up to you.  As for Jacob's Bait on 11N, it sort of looks deserted,  up to you to find out.  Cheers and hope for those that go, have fun. 

• Thanks 2

Unless I'm not reading this right, "Collins Drive Boat Launch parking lot (425 Collins Dr.) and the surrounding streets of Collins Drive, MacIsaac Drive, and Rodger Road (see Key Map). "There is no fee or permit required to park without a boat trailer in those locations," even though the map says otherwise.  So what's the point of this.  Collins Dr. has no parking signs there now.  So you can park a vehicle there without a fee, are you going swimming to catch fish.  I really wonder what they're having for breakfast, sure as hell can't be Smarties.

I can imagine if people park on the mentioned streets with trailers,  the will be a lot of phone calls,  streets are not that wide.

Edited by Fisherman

• 4 weeks later...

That's too bad, no sense running a big derby if there is no place for visiting anglers to park their rigs.

I have some VERY fond memories of fishing there with you, Fisherman, especially that time we whaled the perch, filled our fish basket, and when we left there were just about fist fights from the guys trying to take our old spot.  Good times!

Doug