fuel-stabilized gas for 1 to 3 years

siwash

I really wouldn't try that in a boat motor, maybe the lawnmower. What can go wrong if your lawnmower quits half way through cutting,  2 layered lawn.  In a boat, hmm, better not need to row, row row your boat and then do a fuel system fix.

A few years back, I used the blue marine stabil in a can of gas, next spring there was a massive blue "jello" blob in the bottom of the gas can.  Never again.

Edited by Fisherman
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 1:01 PM, smitty55 said:

Seafoam is rated for two years as a fuel stabilizer and will also prevent phase separation due to any efuel. I use it religiously in all my small engines and fuel cans. Plus it will help keep your engine clean.

I am the same way, I put it in every gas can and use it in everything.

Never had a problem with last years gas in anything I run, boat , chainsaw , quad

Depending on how well the fuel can was sealed it might be ok to use; I wouldn't trust it as Fisherman said...

On 4/16/2023 at 11:04 AM, Fisherman said:

In a boat, hmm, better not need to row, row row your boat and then do a fuel system fix.

I'd be using the stuff for fire starter. You'll know pretty quick if its volatility is good enough to burn in an engine. Now don't blame me if you loose your eyebrows and lashes, right after throwing the match at the gas soaked wood? LOL 

Dan...

• Haha 1

My generator has had seafoam treated shell premium gas in it for 3 years.  I just did it’s bimonthly check last week and it started up just fine.  I always shut off the fuel and run the carb dry though.  Im going to finally drain and replace next month, it’s been sitting too long.  Now I’ve added a bit along the way off course from running it, but its all pretty old gas.  Will it keep, yah I guess it will, but probably not ideal!

Edited by porkpie

If I buy anything involving gas from someone regardless of what they say the gas gets dumped. 

2-3 years would be pushing what I put through anything but a push lawn mower or weed eater. 

V-Power + Seafoam with every tank of gas and then Star Tron for any stabilization needs. Never a fuel issue in any small motor. 

This is a sensitive issue with boaters, kind of like oil change frequency with muscle car owners. Shell gold, no ethanol, 2-3 years should be ok under near perfect conditions. Was the tank full? This prevents condensation. Was the fuel 100% E free? Makes a difference.

I'd drain it and try it in the lawnmower. If it works, put it in your car/truck, just mix it with new gas. No need to dispose of it if it works in a small engine.

The lawn mower references make me curious. Why is it that I can leave my mower literally outside beneath the snow all winter, never stabilize the fuel which is probably already old by summers end, and it still starts reliably in the spring? Granted a few extra pulls initially but then good to go for the season. Boat motors have finer jets or something? Obviously the outrageous cost of an outboard is incentive enough to have one take every precaution, just curious why they are so finicky/sensitive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Weeds said:

The lawn mower references make me curious. Why is it that I can leave my mower literally outside beneath the snow all winter, never stabilize the fuel which is probably already old by summers end, and it still starts reliably in the spring? Granted a few extra pulls initially but then good to go for the season. Boat motors have finer jets or something? Obviously the outrageous cost of an outboard is incentive enough to have one take every precaution, just curious why they are so finicky/sensitive.

Well for starters, your lawn mower is about as basic as a 4 stroke can get. No fuel injection, no electronics, no pollution control. Outboards are fine tuned machines, designed with the best engineering available. They have to run for extended periods at full throttle, under full load, all while being fuel efficient and reliable.

One area of concern is that with a boat, you may get stranded somewhere and now you have a costly repair and recovery fee.  If you gum up your mower's carb, its $30 for a new on off amazon.

BWT, you should still treat your lawnmower better than that!!  LOL.