Pb’ed

AKRISONER

Hey guys,

a bit of fishy pronz for your Wednesday viewing. 

the boys and I towed down to the James river for some warm weather and spring bass fishing. Virginia might be my new favourite state. There’s just something about spring in the south, the blooms on the trees down there are incredible. 

once again I love driving out of the mountains and entering the south to it in full bloom after driving all night. The sun comes up and it’s like you’ve been put into a Time Machine that jumps you from early April in canada to the middle of June.

we’ve done a few of these trips over the years prior to the pandemic, and finally got our things back and order and let’s just say the chick outshone santee and  guntersville by a country mile. The fishing was damn good, the river was quiet, the scenery was beautiful and the barbecue was delicious. We will be going back next year for sure

weather the first two days had it hit 30 degrees with a breeze and a bit of cloud cover just beautiful out and felt so good to be in shorts again on the deck of the boat. Then a big front came through and it dropped to 8 degrees with wind and rain, that didn’t seem to stop the fish from moving to the bank.

our last day we managed to sack up a 20lb limit, now that’s an indication of how things are working down there. Our first time on a tidal fishery, on a new body of water a simple spot tip from a friendly local at the tackle shop pointed us to the right area, once we caught a few we realized the pattern and from there it was just find areas of the river that looked and had the same features, emerging submerged pads, amongst hard docks/wood structure, right near the channel drop off, cast till you catch, find the fish, knows there’s a bed somewhere hidden in the muddy water, and work work work the area. 

picked up a new personal best for myself and my first 6+lb fish. I was getting the big ones on an evergreen flat side in pre spawn magic. A pain in the butt throwing it into pad beds that I can’t see but every third cast I’d manage to rip through the pads clean and sure enough, hammering away at it proved to get the bigger bites than the finesse worm presentations.

lil bit of language in the video…viewer beware!

2FCCFD9B-964F-46B3-8F1A-BF0DEDAFFFD3.jpeg

109CE380-960C-45EC-AF7C-CCB14D671EA7.jpeg

A96E975A-267D-4E4C-B74C-B00EA45C6FE1.jpeg

F69C0093-5BA7-4ADE-973E-77995424D37C.jpeg

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 4

Looks like a great trip. Congrats on the PB !

I assume thats the Chickahominy. A buddy I did business with  down there lived in Jamestown. A few years back he took me out Striper fishing on the James...had an awesome day.

Curious, what were the water temps ?

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Looks like a great trip. Congrats on the PB !

I assume thats the Chickahominy. A buddy I did business with  down there lived in Jamestown. A few years back he took me out Striper fishing on the James...had an awesome day.

Curious, what were the water temps ?

Ya we stayed in chickahominy shores, I linked up with a guy from bass boat central that came out fishing with us for the day, he told us to that the river was fishing bear in the top end so we heeded his advice and stayed right in the thick of it. Chickahominy riverfront park was the perfect place for us to camp out. We hired one of their rustic cabins that essentially was a bunk bed and a double bed with a table, microwave and very small fridge. This gave us a place to hideout from the weather and get a good nights sleep in the cold. We’d then drive to Williamsburg to grab chow after fishing all day. 

apparently the guys down south don’t really kick their fishing season off until mid April and hence the river remained quiet all week. We only had 1 boat on a spot we wanted to fish the entire week.

Looks like you guys had a great time, congrats!!!! The vid reminded me of some of our trips. Some guys smoked the rest of us drank, while we all played poker. So much for a good night's sleep some of the guys played poker right into the morning. But they were ready to go out fishing at day break. They just left the table with their cards and the pot (Poker Pot LOL) sitting there for their return that night. Yeah they were zombies the second night; but the Bull about that day's fishing kept them awake. Well awake until they put some food in their bellies and then one at a time disappeared into their beds. LOL Good times, lots of fish caught (lots released even before slot size was a word) Kept enough fish for a fry up at home. Leaving us not afraid of showing a CO our catch, if we were to be stopped. Good times for sure! Thanks for the memories!!!

Dan... 

• Like 1