Cod and Chips please.

limeyangler

Got out a couple times in the last four days to fish for Burbot, lots of small ones but they put up a decent fight and it’s a non stop slimefest this time of year as they start their spawn. Only caught one that was milting, but it’s about to get slimier… lol. Now where’d I put that pack of beer batter?

• Like 6

Very nice ! Sounds like you're going to fry 'em up. Don't know if you've tried "Poor Man's Lobster" with them...cut into finger-sized chunks, poach in 4 parts lightly salted water to 1 part dry white wine, at a bare simmer until just cooked through...serve with melted butter and lemon for dipping. Yum...

We get some big brutes in my lake down in SE Ontario...

IMG_20190127_122635.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

VERY NICE BUDDY.

I learned something new this season about marking burbot. Heard you say they show up huge marks. I learned when they come in,it looks like disturbance on the graph, as they do not swim in like a normal fish. It,s the way they sway their tail/body  when they swim.

Great vids and catches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry Willis said:

Good going Limeyangler, they are fiesty little buggers and  hard to beat when it comes to table fare. I enjoy your videos. Keep em coming.

Thanks Barry, I have a load of crappie videos from the last month I’ll be putting together soon. They are really firstly as you say and are a blast to catch. Only one of the fish caught was milting so I think the spawn is gonna happen any minute now, once they start to spawn the action is non stop, but because they become really active during the day you will catch Lakers

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Very nice ! Sounds like you're going to fry 'em up. Don't know if you've tried "Poor Man's Lobster" with them...cut into finger-sized chunks, poach in 4 parts lightly salted water to 1 part dry white wine, at a bare simmer until just cooked through...serve with melted butter and lemon for dipping. Yum...

We get some big brutes in my lake down in SE Ontario...

IMG_20190127_122635.jpg

NiceFish, we get some linkers too, just not in the lake I was on. We’ve tried loads of different recipes including poor man’s lobster style, I like it fried in beer batter, closest I’ll get to proper English fish and chips over here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misfish said:

VERY NICE BUDDY.

I learned something new this season about marking burbot. Heard you say they show up huge marks. I learned when they come in,it looks like disturbance on the graph, as they do not swim in like a normal fish. It,s the way they sway their tail/body  when they swim.

Great vids and catches.

You’re absolutely right, the reason for the , huge mark is because I have it zoomed in to 5 feet off bottom, but you’ll hear me somewhere in the video mentioning the bubbles comingnn be off bottom as one comes in and stirs up the muddy bottom. This is even more of a phenomenon when they are actively spawning, you know it’s a matter of seconds before a bite when all that is on the graph looks like interference.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Any chance we can get a clean and cook video Simon? I'd be interested in your,  how you do it.  :)

My least favourite thing about Burbot, cleaning the slimey bar stewards. I’ll do a video of it though just for you, I’m not good at it but oh well, it should be entertaining for comedic reasons… lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

NiceFish, we get some linkers too, just not in the lake I was on. We’ve tried loads of different recipes including poor man’s lobster style, I like it fried in beer batter, closest I’ll get to proper English fish and chips over here.

Sounds like I will have to try it Simon. Going to get my fill of good ol' cod and chips this August.

• Like 2

I remember Dick Lindsey(? not sure of his last name) the owner of Bear Creek Cottages back then (mid 70's). Saying that during the late 40's up until the early 70's Lingcod, Ling or Burbot whatever you want to call them, were very plentiful in Lake Nipissing. To quote him "they were laying on the bottom like stacked logs". Northern Ontario families were suffering through some very hard times after the war. The government set up commercial fisheries to catch and process ling to feed the local communities at a low cost. This went on for sometime until they all but wiped out Burbot and stopped fishing them commercially. Move up 50 year and we're hearing of more and more success sport fishing for them. So it sounds like they might be on their way back on Lake Nipissing?

I've had Lingcod cooked in different ways; why they called it a poor man's fish is beyond me the stuff is amazing table fair!!!

Dan..  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, limeyangler said:

Got out a couple times in the last four days to fish for Burbot, lots of small ones but they put up a decent fight and it’s a non stop slimefest this time of year as they start their spawn. Only caught one that was milting, but it’s about to get slimier… lol. Now where’d I put that pack of beer batter?

Would like to see how you clean and cook 'em Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limeyangler said:

My least favourite thing about Burbot, cleaning the slimey bar stewards

Our guide we had (after him indulging in most of our adult drinks) gave us a demonstration of how he skinned a ling. He started by cutting a ring all around in the skin below the head. He then had a 4 inch spike (nail) put it through the head and then hammered the nail into the wall of the fish hut. He started pulling the skin down but being so slippery he couldn't do it by hand. Did he give up, no not a chance our drunken guide latched onto the shin with his teeth. Most of the crew were turned off by watching this idiot shin the fish and coming up with slim all over his face. I made the judgement call of filleting the skinned fish (5 of them) and giving them a good wash and tried getting the guys onboard to try it. It didn't take long after they smelt the butter and seasoning in the frypan to get them belly up to the table.

Dan..

PS: Our guide's liver is likely on display at the Smithsonian; as the most petrified human organ ever documented. LOL  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DanD said:

Our guide we had (after him indulging in most of our adult drinks) gave us a demonstration of how he skinned a ling. He started by cutting a ring all around in the skin below the head. He then had a 4 inch spike (nail) put it through the head and then hammered the nail into the wall of the fish hut. He started pulling the skin down but being so slippery he couldn't do it by hand. Did he give up, no not a chance our drunken guide latched onto the shin with his teeth. Most of the crew were turned off by watching this idiot shin the fish and coming up with slim all over his face. I made the judgement call of filleting the skinned fish (5 of them) and giving them a good wash and tried getting the guys onboard to try it. It didn't take long after they smelt the butter and seasoning in the frypan to get them belly up to the table.

Dan..

PS: Our guide's liver is likely on display at the Smithsonian; as the most petrified human organ ever documented. LOL  

Guide sounds like a real goof. I was put off keeping them for a long time because I heard that you had to nail them to a board as you described, but after watching a few youtube videos realised this was not the case, at least not for the size we are catching. Like you said, make a ring behind the head all the way round. Be careful not to only cut skin deep, especially around the bottom off the fish or you’ll have all the guts and stomach acid to deal with as well as the slime…, then just work at the edge of the skin and once you get a flap off skin that can be gripped well, peels off in one go with a good pull Another thing, avoid letting them freeze , it’s a pain in the rear to have to let them thaw out, cuz it’s next to impossible to skin ‘em froze. Or , like my buddy Dylan just do them like a walleye….don’t know how he does it but it’s quicker than my way..lol.