Defibrillator

captpierre

Hey Guys. 
Doing the spring show circuit. Been on the hunt for a portable defibrillator. My neighbors at the cottage and us agreed to go together on a defibrillator.  If one of us goes down, seconds count. By the time EMS shows up at the lake it may be too late.  There were 3 defibrillator booths at Cottage Life Show. Units range from $1200- $2000. Warrantied for 8 yrs and can last 15+ yrs. Need shock pads and lithium batteries replaced every 4 yrs usually. ($3-400)
Couldn’t decide on which one to get. Several are back ordered. 
Also, take a CPR course if you can. I have.  To do CPR correctly it takes a lot of force. They had a dummy at one booth that gives feedback. My wife tried and didn’t press enough. 
Might want to buy less life insurance. Don’t want to give the Mrs a disincentive.  Just sayin 😎

4 hours ago, fisherman7 said:

That's a great idea. I've thought about one for my neighbourhood. We're a community of 30 homes. Have you decided where you would keep it?

They can’t freeze. One of our neighbours is fairly central, heats the place all winter and never locks the door. 

Be sure to know when to use an AED. They're not meant to revive a person who has no heartbeat (heat attack).  ie-tv medical shows. As I've seen described elsewhere, a heart attack is a 'plumbing issue' and can't be helped by an AED. A cardiac arrest is an 'electrical issue' and can be aided with the timely use of an AED.

Having said all that, getting one for community use is a very smart thing and there really is zero downside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenboater said:

Be sure to know when to use an AED. They're not meant to revive a person who has no heartbeat (heat attack).  ie-tv medical shows. As I've seen described elsewhere, a heart attack is a 'plumbing issue' and can't be helped by an AED. A cardiac arrest is an 'electrical issue' and can be aided with the timely use of an AED.

Having said all that, getting one for community use is a very smart thing and there really is zero downside.

Heart attacks (blockage of the coronary arteries) often cause an arrhythmia that renders the heart beat useless to provide necessary blood pressure. That’s why you drop. The heart fibrillates instead of beating properly.  The AED, once the pads are attached, reads what’s going on and knows to shock only when appropriate. The machine talks you through everything. Some can tell you if chest compressions are being done adequately.  They can handle children too but some require pediatric pads separately, others use the same paddles.  

• Like 1