Best Provincial Parks?

Sneakypete

• 9 months later...

So you have only posted 5 times and each time you post a link , which has little to do with the original poster. So do you get paid for each hit on a link you provide 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry said:

So you have only posted 5 times and each time you post a link , which has little to do with the original poster. So do you get paid for each hit on a link you provide 

Wooof!!!!

On 4/25/2023 at 1:02 PM, Headhunter said:

The best PP in Ontario is called Crown Land in my opinion. I get out of the city and fish to get away from people and rules. No way am I going to go to a PP and be told I can't...

-talk to my buddies outside the tent after 9:00pm

- play music at the site

-purchase wood for a fire

-pay the ridiculous daily fees

-deal with the sheer numbers of people I was trying to get away from in the first place!

OP, look for accessible crown land and do what you want!

HH

i second your crown land comment and for the same reasons!

Never been to Massassauga PP and would like to try it in my kayak this spring.  I would be day fishing so not getting to far into the park.  Would you recommend launching at Pete's Place, or the Park on Three Legged Lake.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Pete's Place will give you easier access to G Bay...Woods Bay, mouth of the Moon River...where there's better fishing. I believe Three Legged is an interior lake.

You can also launch and park at Moon River Marina...directly on Woods Bay. I used to keep my boat there when I had a cottage on Wahsoune Island. Chris and his family are great folks. Good local info, a small store (including LCBO) and very secure parking. Not sure what the fees are these days.

You aren't going anywhere if you launch into Three Legged, besides Three Legged, lol.  However if you're in a canoe, most people will hump over to Spider.  Good laker fishing, I've done it through the ice, never in the softwater.

53 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Pete's Place will give you easier access to G Bay...Woods Bay, mouth of the Moon River...where there's better fishing. I believe Three Legged is an interior lake.

You can also launch and park at Moon River Marina...directly on Woods Bay. I used to keep my boat there when I had a cottage on Wahsoune Island. Chris and his family are great folks. Good local info, a small store (including LCBO) and very secure parking. Not sure what the fees are these days.

Crowman this what you're referring to?

IMG_6618.jpeg

Edited by siwash

3 minutes ago, BillM said:

You aren't going anywhere if you launch into Three Legged, besides Three Legged, lol.  However if you're in a canoe, most people will hump over to Spider.  Good laker fishing, I've done it through the ice, never in the softwater.

If it's the same lake I'm thinking of spider also has good pike 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, siwash said:

Crowman this what you're referring to?

IMG_6618.jpeg

Yep. That's too funny. The slip with the boat that has the red canvas top was where I kept my boat. Brian Beaumler...when he was building a G Bay cottage for his TV show...used to keep his boat right behind mine.  Sarah Richardson had her place just up the bay from my cottage. On some days it seemed like all the HGTV personalities were hanging out there..lol. And even Chris, who owns the marina, had a career in film and TV production, before he switched gears and came back to settle down in his hometown. The place was like friggin' Hollywood North...hehe

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

You guys fish woods bay and moon river delta much? I went once and didn't fair too well. I can't remember where we launched. Maybe Pete's.  Is it as bad as honey harbour in terms of rocks? Can't recall 

1 hour ago, siwash said:

You guys fish woods bay and moon river delta much? I went once and didn't fair too well. I can't remember where we launched. Maybe Pete's.  Is it as bad as honey harbour in terms of rocks? Can't recall 

I had an island cottage just off the north channel of the Moon for a number of years. The Bass and Pike fishing is as good as, if not better, than anywhere else in Southern Ontario. I had some submerged rockpiles waypointed out along the outer islands where I could catch 10 Smallies on 10 casts. In the early season, the entire archipelago is over-run with Pike...many of a good size. Musky took a lot of time and effort...but the record Ken O'Brien fish came from right there. Some say the next world record is swimming around those islands right now. Walleye were harder to come by...but they usually were big. Bowfin and Gar also kept me entertained. I would even down-rig for Chinooks in the deep trench off 12 Mile Bay.

Yes sir...rocks are everywhere. The charts don't even show 1/4 of them. Woods Bay isn't too bad, but Iron City Bay can be a nightmare for the unexperienced. You don't want to stray off the marked navigation routes without being hyper vigilant. On the plus side, the water is very clear..so with one eye on the GPS and one eye on the water...I was down to maybe one new prop a year...LOL

• Like 2

8 hours ago, riverwader said:

Never been to Massassauga PP and would like to try it in my kayak this spring.  I would be day fishing so not getting to far into the park.  Would you recommend launching at Pete's Place, or the Park on Three Legged Lake.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  

I am not sure what your kayak is like or how strong a paddler you are. My bud with a kayak has a much smaller range than we would in a tandem canoe. Others are suggesting going beyond Woods bay. That would be further than my bud could go w/o a great effort. There are other closer areas of course, eg, to the North. My bud and I were there in a canoe last fall for the first time and just caught 1 keeper bass each. I think we would do better the next time.  

On 3/27/2024 at 4:27 PM, siwash said:

I fish that area all the time and the fishing in the entire area was poor all of last year. No idea why except that the water level was quite a bit lower than it was in 2020 which is the last year I visited. And yes, lots of rock like the honey harbour area. All of Georgian bay is littered with rocks and shoals. You'll need to use a chart and remain vigilant until you get to know an area.  Fish are in there. Huge pike, nice walleye (if you can find them), and bruiser Bass, both large and smallmouth. I always mark tons of fish along drops and deep holes. No idea what they are tho.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KraTToR said:

I always mark tons of fish along drops and deep holes. No idea what they are tho.

Lots of Cisco in G Bay...usually mark them right around the thermocline. How do you think the Muskies get that big in the Bay ?   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 4:27 PM, siwash said:

All the time, probably spend more time there than anywhere else until it's muskie season.  Smallmouth are basically unlimited like Crowman said, muskies are a tough go out there (For me so far, although I raised an absolute giant 2 years ago), it's my go to spring pike spot.   Also a sneaky population of big largies.  

Stick to the channels and go slow if you don't know the area.  My Navionics maps are pretty accurate out there when it counts.  If I go to a new area I slow way down and keep a look out.  I've hit rocks in places I've been dozens of times lol

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be in a new boat this spring. Bigger so will be extra cautious.  I remember we caught some pike and SM at a shoal if I'm not mistaken, very close to where the Moon dumps into the delta.  Can't go further by boat in that area.  Water has big current. I'll bet the walleye are stacked in there in the spring. We were there in the summer 

Edited by siwash

The only current area I know of is at the end of Captain Allan straight.   Lots of guys walleye fish there.   And continuing west is pretty protected.  You aren't close to getting out to the big water from that location.