The prices for fresh seafood

I just got back from Myrtle Beach but I had to leave quicker than expected because my traveling partner had a death in the family. I  was buying fresh jumbo shrimp down there for $8.99 a LB. Oysters $20.00 would get you 1/2 a 5 gal pail ( roughly 60-70 oysters) and these were fresh like right at the shore line fresh). Mind you they were still covered in mud and you had to scrub them but heck were they ever good. Clams , OMG not a job for an old man but I was able to dig enough for a few good feeds but you could buy them at the fish market for under $5.00 a dozen. Heres my quandry: I  would have brought a good supply home but didn't have time to prepair. I went on line to try to buy some "fresh" seafood, oysters $2.50 ea. Jumbo shrimp $25.00 a lb. I understand that a profit has to be made, and I don't mind paying a reasonable price for what I get but some of these prices seem a little extreme. 

Does anyone have a supplier in the GTA that provides quality, fresh seafood at anything but an exorberent price? 

I've always found the freshest fish & seafood and best prices (based on quality) at St. Lawrence Market on Front St in Toronto. There are 3 different vendors that all have been there for a very long time...they all compete with each to keep prices low and bring in the best quality product. One of my favourites are the Crab Cakes from the Seafront Store. I've also often bought large size Malapeque oysters from PEI (the best on the planet) for 75 cents each..

The only headache is downtown traffic and parking....but it's also an excuse to get the best peameal bacon sandwich in town from Carousel Bakery.

Edited by CrowMan

Welcome back, we have place close by that my wife goes to occasionally. Might be a bit of a drive. (Just 7 km closer to you than  my place). I have only gone twice for mussels. 

https://www.seacoreseafood.com

another one that has a huge warehouse close by is Toppins, they area distributor. 

good luck

ps how do you cook writings (sp) ?