Trolling motor recommendation

captpierre

14 minutes ago, Musky Plug said:

If you’re able, I would suggest checking out all of the brands at the fishing show this weekend and speak to the reps at the respective booths. Might be able to scoop a TM up there for a “sale” price. 

Talking to a rep is good to point out their features and maybe strengths. But they won’t ever tell you their weaknesses. Gotta talk to you guys, reviews or the competition to find out the full picture. 
I’ve dealt with reps all my career. Can’t trust any of them. 

• Like 2

You are getting some really good info in this thread. In fact the motor suggested to you is sold out all of the time…there’s a very good reason for that.

you could go to the motorguide booth and they will tell you their trolling motors are the best thing since sliced bread.

• Like 1

Hard to beat the 60in 24V 80lb Terrova.  I've had mine since I believe 2012?   I had to replace the actuator on the front in order to stow it, but that's about it.   Simple grease job after each season is all that I do.    I love that motor.  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 8:25 AM, captpierre said:

Dropped into Gannon yesterday. Having difficulty getting Terrova 60” 80lb. Said it’s the most popular motor out there. They get them in a few at a time. Gone next day. 
$2800 with pedal an no ilLink. 

Cabelas says in stock online for $2300 plus tax.  I’m not sure how accurate that is but worth a shot!  Even if they drop ship it could be worth the wait.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:35 AM, captpierre said:

Hey Guys,
I fish Pigeon Lake mainly for eyes, Bluegills and occasionally musky. Weededges and humps.  My ride is a 2007 Lund Tyee 1750. My current motor is a 2007 Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 24v without Spotlock.  Works fine.  My electronics is a Lowrance HDS 7 with over 600 waypoints. Will likely upgrade that to Humminbird at some point to sinc with MinnKota. 
But it’s  often windy and it’s a pain to keep on a spot or follow a weed line. 
Thinking of upgrading to a new Powerdrive or TerraNova. Which would you prefer?  And is a handheld remote alone sufficient?  I’d have no footpedal and cable to take up space. Seems better but want to know what experience says.   Thanks. 

I don't know what to say here and after perusing the replys it's more difficult.

How bout you steer your own boat and hold it on a fishing spot.

Give the fish a chance

Rant over..LOL

10 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

You are getting some really good info in this thread. In fact the motor suggested to you is sold out all of the time…there’s a very good reason for that.

you could go to the motorguide booth and they will tell you their trolling motors are the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes and yes 

Hit the Sportsman Show today. Thanks to input from many, I pulled the trigger on a Terrova 60” 80lb with remote and foot pedal. $2675 instead of $2800. Will have to wait till May-June. 
No MinnKota booth. Only 1 of their reps at Radioworld. 
No Terrovas or Ulterras to examine. Only Powerdrives on boats. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not many tackle dealers.  Lots of Chinese ATVs. No Honda. 
Pretty good hunting booths. 
Overpaid to get in. Seniors $15. Starts at 60 yrs. 🤕 Forgot to ask. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, captpierre said:

Hit the Sportsman Show today. Thanks to input from many, I pulled the trigger on a Terrova 60” 80lb with remote and foot pedal. $2675 instead of $2800. Will have to wait till May-June. 
No MinnKota booth. Only 1 of their reps at Radioworld. 
No Terrovas or Ulterras to examine. Only Powerdrives on boats. 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not many tackle dealers.  Lots of Chinese ATVs. No Honda. 
Pretty good hunting booths. 
Overpaid to get in. Seniors $15. Starts at 60 yrs. 🤕 

You won’t be disappointed. Did you get the i pilot or I pilot link? 

Edited by Musky Plug

1 hour ago, lew said:

Fishing used to be so simple before all the crazy expensive electronics came along LOL

Sure was Lew...I started using a long bamboo pole and with a tincan with worms we picked the night before...My grandpa never owned a rod and reel and I never got one until I was 12 years old for Christmas...LOL

4 hours ago, captpierre said:

I asked Radioworld who’s going to look after me if I have a problem? 
Said Rocky’s in Orillia or Aikman in Mississauga. 

+1 for aikmans, the guy is a man of few words, but hes honest and does good work. Thats all you can ask for these days.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

+1 for aikmans, the guy is a man of few words, but hes honest and does good work. Thats all you can ask for these days.

+2...Dave only says what needs to be said that's for sure.

I'd like to spend a couple of hours sniffing around that basement...it's like a "closet of curiousities"....

..and the Philipino food next door is pretty good too..

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread gents as I've convinced myself that it time for an upgrade, Very similar set up as original post Crestliner FH 1750 with newer HB's on deck and console and currently running and older 70lb Maxxum 24V that has been with me through all kinds of nonsense over the years and never let me down. Honestly some of the stuff that that motor did was medal worthy hahaha. In my older age  I'm torn to give up the foot pedal as half of me is still in my 20's running weed lines and crashing through slop with a foot pedal but my older ego wants to sit Bill Dance like on the casting platform and press a button on a remote.

After all the reviews above I'm leaning now that a Terrova 80 lb 60" with IPILOT, foot pedal and remote (just in case) is in the plans so any recent stock availability or deals seen out there would be appreciated. DM if preferred and yes I will post old faithful here in the want ads for an OFC special price as I know there's so much more life left in that unit. 

I think launching your boat and depending on the Ulterra trolling motor to bring your boat back to the dock is very amusing. Looks great on the video but one day something will go wrong and you will be swimming to get your boat back. LOL Hope its not cold.

I launch solo all the time and ive never had a problem. Use a 20ft rope from the front side cleat. There is always something to tie to. If not, tie off to your trailer winch post.

• Like 1

I will say that the terrova foot peddle saved me a fishing day on the Niagara once when the remote crapped out.  I never use a foot pedal but I was glad to have it the one time I needed it, the remote is generally pretty reliable and I always carry spare batteries but that one went bad and I had to get a new remote.

• Thanks 1