Volunteering time?

Just wondering who else might be volunteering some of their time at the different help centers? I started volunteering at the Men Mission here in London. Went through the police checks and all the other crap making sure I wouldn't be a threat to the clients there. Been going there now for about 2 months now and totally enjoy it. Doing all kinds of different things. Basic electrical, plumbing, carpentry and a bunch of painting. Staring to get to know the staff members and a number of the clients/guest. Most of the guests are good people that are down on their luck. These guy are very nice and very humble. Stop and introduce yourself to them and it's like they've found a long lost friend. Makes me feel good that I put a smile on that persons face. Only after the short time I've been there I get hello's as I walk down the halls and they've remembered my name.

Then there' are the druggies that come in from the cold to find a warm place to get high; they sneak their dope in. You can tell who's on a drug vacation when you see them and I try and stay clear and watch them very closely when we are in the same area. Last week the paramedics, fire department and police were called to the Mission. Some 16 year-old kid overdosed in his room. The paramedics got him stabilized but then the kid refuse to go to the hospital. What a shame he'll likely end up dead somewhere on the streets.

Sorry for the last bit; but who else does volunteering. 

Dan... 

• Like 2

I'm retired now so I have the time. It's great you're helping where you can. One of my fears going to the "Mission" was being hit up with a bunch of bible thumpers. It hasn't happened? Yes there is some religion around the place but it's not pushed on anyone. Met the Pastor of the Mission and he cracked jokes with us???? LOL

Dan...   

• Like 2

Well first of all kudos to both of you guys for doing what you can to help others, it is a wonderful feeling. 

I don't "formally" volunteer anywhere but I do always try my best to help out anyone that I can.

Up until last year I would shovel elderly neighbours driveways and things like that. At 77 I can't do as much of the physical stuff any more and in fact have to hire help for some things. I still do other things, help out with paper work, rides to medical appointments, fix things for neighbours, check in on the ones that live alone. 

As far as donations go, now that I am not working anymore I can't donate as much as I use to but I do give what I can to the legion poppy fund every year. If you do it directly to the legion you even get a tax deductible receipt. Being a veteran myself I am very aware of the good work they do. I know there are other very worthy charities but I can only do so much.

• Like 2

I've been a volunteer with the local Food Bank since 2017.

Along with some other retired gentlemen we do the weekly grocery shopping every Tuesday morning.

We also get dispatched to pick up donations from all areas of the community and when needed fill in for the actual distribution to our clients on Thursdays.

I find it very satisfying being able to give back to the needy of our area and the days I spend working at the Food Bank are the highlights of my week.

Bernie

• Like 3

I spent 3 hours clearing my driveway this morning then went over and did my neighbors but it was well worth it as she came over a few minutes ago with a carrot cake as a thankyou LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I retired in October, and when in town have been doing deliveries for Meals on Wheels twice a week. One of my buddies turned me on to the organization. I get to meet a lot of really interesting people that often are isolated but have a lot of fascinating life experiences to share. It's something that I've really come to enjoy.

It says something about our society that so many elderly people are "alone", and just need someone to chat with for a few minutes. Even though a lot of seniors have families, they're often somewhat abandoned by the children they spent their lives raising.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:12 PM, crappieperchhunter said:

The wife and I just spent 2 hours shovelling our neighbours driveway after already shovelling out our own.  Does that count? I'll read any comments after my nap😀😀😀

I'm 3rd house deep on a private road.  Myself and the man 2nd house in have atv's with plows so we do our road all season.  Only 1 time have we needed to hire someone and that was on Saturday as I had to work and wasn't able to plow. 

• Like 2

Good on all of you for helping others when you're able.

I do volunteer a small amount of my time to keep our local fishing club running but that's about the limit of time I volunteer.
However all the money I make building rods and then some is given to my local food bank and other charitable causes, it's a considerable amount when viewed annually.

• Like 4

Been involved with a conservation group for over 25 years. We started out raising and releasing pheasants for the township hunt, then morphed into fish netting surveys, planting water plants (30,000 of them),planted thousands of trees, fishing derbies, bluebird nest boxes, trail building, benches, shoreline erosion, and dozens more projects.  We will be building a swallow nesting structure on a 40 acre property that was reclaimed farmland. This is kind of a signature site for us and 3400 shrubs and almost 4000 trees later we just have to remove some fencing and it will be finished. I am not sure how long we will be keeping it going because of the age of the volunteers involved and most of what needed to be done has been completed. The fish population at the Binbrook conservation area has crashed and we will be pressing the Niagara Conservation Authority to study the issue but they have limited resources and a lot of internal turmoil to deal with.. 

Photo_6553672_DJI_72_jpg_4240447_0_2021918101056_photo_original.jpg

Photo_6553782_DJI_182_jpg_4157234_0_20211031102952_photo_original.jpg

20210612_112258.jpg

20200223_105248.jpg

20190901_115606.jpg

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2