Miramichi Striped Bass - 2024

mike rousseau

Hey gang 

Well finally planning one of my bucket list trips and heading to Miramichi NB next spring for striped bass 

I am towing my boat down and gunna see if we can’t get on em 

Lots of info out there to filter through and getting a decent grasp on things (I think)

I was wondering if any OFCers  have made the trip and if so any interesting info or tips to share? 

From what I gather I’ll drive/troll around until we find a concentration of fish then cast swimbaits and top waters 

We did the trip a few years back. We went mid-summer so most of the fish had left the river and were back out in the ocean. That being said the fishing was incredible ! Quantity and quality. 

We stayed in Shippagan and fished the waters around the Lemeque and Miscou Islands. This area is just to the north of the mouth of the Miramichi, and mostly protected from the open ocean. We would cruise along the shoreline looking for gulls diving on bait balls (herring) on the surface, and cast into them. Brought all kinds of lures, but the best bait was the local favorite...1oz white bucktail jig tipped with a chunk of mackerel (which you can easily catch by the bucketful). Best top water lures were 9" RoostaPops in silver/blue. 

In the ocean, using currents and tides to their advantage, these fish pull hard. You will not be over- gunned bringing Musky tackle. It was like catching 20lb Smallmouth. My arms hurt for weeks after this trip..lol

We also surf fished from shore. The beaches of Miscou Island are absolutely beautiful and loaded with Stripers. We wet waded using 9ft rods that we would use for pier fishing salmon in Ontario.

Stripers are great eating...firm mild white meat that holds up on the BBQ without falling apart. Between that and the local lobster, oysters, mussels and clams...we had a seafood smorgasbord every night.

I know you're thinking of going in the spring...but the east coast during summer is beautiful....no rain or storms in the entire week we were there.

Dscf0170.jpg

Dscf0156.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CrowMan said:

We did the trip a few years back. We went mid-summer so most of the fish had left the river and were back out in the ocean. That being said the fishing was incredible ! Quantity and quality. 

We stayed in Shippagan and fished the waters around the Lemeque and Miscou Islands. This area is just to the north of the mouth of the Miramichi, and mostly protected from the open ocean. We would cruise along the shoreline looking for gulls diving on bait balls (herring) on the surface, and cast into them. Brought all kinds of lures, but the best bait was the local favorite...1oz white bucktail jig tipped with a chunk of mackerel (which you can easily catch by the bucketful). Best top water lures were 9" RoostaPops in silver/blue. 

In the ocean, using currents and tides to their advantage, these fish pull hard. You will not be over- gunned bringing Musky tackle. It was like catching 20lb Smallmouth. My arms hurt for weeks after this trip..lol

We also surf fished from shore. The beaches of Miscou Island are absolutely beautiful and loaded with Stripers. We wet waded using 9ft rods that we would use for pier fishing salmon in Ontario.

Stripers are great eating...firm mild white meat that holds up on the BBQ without falling apart. Between that and the local lobster, oysters, mussels and clams...we had a seafood smorgasbord every night.

I know you're thinking of going in the spring...but the east coast during summer is beautiful....no rain or storms in the entire week we were there.

Dscf0170.jpg

Dscf0156.jpg

Very nice

thanks for the info

beauty fish 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 9:20 PM, mike rousseau said:

Hey gang 

Well finally planning one of my bucket list trips and heading to Miramichi NB next spring for striped bass 

I am towing my boat down and gunna see if we can’t get on em 

Lots of info out there to filter through and getting a decent grasp on things (I think)

I was wondering if any OFCers  have made the trip and if so any interesting info or tips to share? 

From what I gather I’ll drive/troll around until we find a concentration of fish then cast swimbaits and top waters 

FishnCanada has a couple of videos from trips they took.