Electric snowmobiles from Bombardier

woodenboater

Link is behind a paywall but here's a snippet. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-brp-electric-snowmobiles-off-road/

BRP Inc. will begin shipping out its first electric vehicles, Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobile models, later this year as part of a wider, multiyear push to offer electric models in all of its product lines by 2026, the company said in a statement late Monday. A few hundred units will be delivered first to outfitters and tour operators such as Lapland Safaris in Rovaniemi, Finland, with power and range optimized for guided snowmobile excursions up to 50 kilometres.

I'm guessing the range is capped because it's going to tour and rentals. Wonder how much heated grips will drain the battery. Less noise would be welcome though...

BRP (as my Dad would say) is on the horns of a dilemma. 

Snowmobile sales have been plummeting for a couple of decades now. If you need snow to sell your product, but your existing product contributes to the lack of snow...well, you may need to change your product. No doubt that the cold environment and the drag of the propulsion system make it extremely technologically challenging.

I have a group of friends that are avid sled heads. For years, every winter they do a week long grand tour somewhere. Years ago, it was Muskoka and Haliburton....lately they've been going much further afield...Temagami, Chapleau, Quebec...this year it was Cochrane..

Edited by CrowMan