Anyone Remember the old Toronto Zoo Board

Cast-Away

I remember meeting TJ for the first time at a GTG. He was with this young lady that worked at Hooters. He got rather nervous when I said I was a newf,but the young lady had a big smile on her face. Not sure what that was all about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good times  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, kickingfrog said:

I found this place (OFC) in the spring of 2007. How long before that was the zoo?

1990's for sure.  Can't remember how far back, maybe 95?  I found OFC from that board also, I had some weird handle that I can't remember back then (not that my current one is much better), might have been part of my hotmail at the time, trouter something.  I was mainly into steelhead then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, porkpie said:

1990's for sure.  Can't remember how far back, maybe 95?  I found OFC from that board also, I had some weird handle that I can't remember back then (not that my current one is much better), might have been part of my hotmail at the time, trouter something.  I was mainly into steelhead then.

What, you don't like "Porkpie."   ;)

10 hours ago, RickOnt said:

I remember the Toronto Zoo board

It would have been around in the early '90's

OFC would of been after that, I think

TJ would know what year       

I think OFC started in 1999.  I found the "Zoo" board in late 1997 / early 1998.  I am not sure how long it had been around before that.

Was the Zoo board a BBS where you had to dial the number and connect ? I remember being a member of several bulletin board groups back in the 90's and using an Off Line Mail Reader (OLMR) called " BlueWave" so to minimize connection time, especially when long distance, back in the DOS days

4 hours ago, dave524 said:

Was the Zoo board a BBS where you had to dial the number and connect ? I remember being a member of several bulletin board groups back in the 90's and using an Off Line Mail Reader (OLMR) called " BlueWave" so to minimize connection time, especially when long distance, back in the DOS days

I was accessing it via "regular" internet in the late 90s.  But it may have started out differently.  

"It was shorter than melton mowbray"

While we're reminiscing...PorkPies' comment brought back memories of John "Tiny" Bennett. 

Tiny was the outdoors/fishing columnist for the old Toronto Telegram, and then briefly for the Toronto Sun when that paper rose out of the ashes of the Telegram. Tiny, a 6' 5" 260lb Englishman, was originally from Leicestershire, the home of the Melton Mowbray pie. He once wrote an entire column extolling the virtues of this wonderful concoction...it was his favourite lunch to take fishing. He even published his own family's recipe...as he claimed it could only be made a certain way, with specific ingredients. That column spurred me as a young man to bake my own MM pies...which I still do to this day.

Tiny's columns and his book, "The Art of Angling" were way ahead of their time...it was his approach to fishing that instilled in me the passion I still have today...to appreciate the activity as a form of "art",  rather than something where the end result is to just put some food on the table.

Even today, his book is still well worth a read.

My apologies to the OP for getting  sidetracked. 

313RORXDz6L._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Dan was that Dan C? He always posted pictures of Sleeping Giant Island. Great to hear that you help out others in your retirement, that is a very noble gesture.

I remember leaving the Zoo Board for OFC for the same reason. Everyone here was great and it is still a great board thanks to the good people and some nudging from the Mods. I only fish once or twice a year so I don't have much to contribute any longer. My icon was from my first Walleye in the Massasauga back around 2007 where I still camp every summer. I still don't catch many there, very elusive. 

Thanks for the posts everyone and the trip down memory lane for many!

Regards,

Warren

• Like 1

Yes, I remember it well. Andy was a great guy and I hooked up with him to help with setting up some temperature regulators at the atlantic salmon hatchery they had on the Rouge River. I also met with Adopt-A-Walleye guy there and helped set up the walleye hatcheries and donated an outboard for the boat at the Caledon gravel pits.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, Spiel said:

Well I'm still searching

As noted above from Lew, it was AndyK, I'm still searching the archives for pictures of him here at my home for a New Years Eve party.
In the mean time here he is at Lakair (on the right) with my buddy Jef (Team Empty Pockets).

AndyK1.jpg

Edited by Ron
CUPCAKE!
  • Haha 1

Don't remember the Zoo Board but joined OFC (OFC) back in the early days, probably more than 20 years ago. Posted a fair bit in the early years then things became silly and there were those that jumped all over anything that was posted. A little like the wild west, LOL. 

Was invited to an early days Lakair GTG and had a blast and never missed one, not sure how my liver survived but it did. Fond memories of those days and of those that are no longer with us. Some good, no, some great people on this site. Have ongoing long term friendships made at those Lakair GTG's.

Thanks to TJ for the start up and thanks to those who maintained law and order over the years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This brings back memories. I think it was called, "What's Biting in the Toronto Area" and it was the first fishing chat board I ever used. Probably mid-90s. It was run by Andy Rubaczek (might not have the spelling correct) and the url might have been www.zoo.utoronto.ca. I think he was an IT guy with an interest in fishing. Super nice guy and he was active with the Metro East Anglers and Ringwood Hatchery when MNRF stopped running it.

I spent a few minutes with Google but couldn't find any info or archived images.