Anyone Remember the old Toronto Zoo Board

Cast-Away

37 minutes ago, Beans said:

I kinda recall the name but we were O-F-N before O.F.C....I still think of myself as an OFNer because that is what it sez on my cap, T-shirt and yellow jacket,,,LOL

The good ole days Norm

1267952646_RoysvisittoCliffs001.jpg.c9a678da217f3718ddd289e44827e8cf.webp.972b6d948e6ede9581189bba22e56b98.webp

• Like 2

5 hours ago, misfish said:

Do not know of the Zoo,but heard of it. I joined up when I got my first PC. Got an invite to join  on O F N. A great lady invited me. And here I am still,yet she is not. Miss ya Joey. 🙏

Oh my...we all miss her !

• Like 4

Oh Yeah the ZOO Board, the bash and belittle board. I found OFC (  O  .  F  .  N  ) shortly after it came on line. I didn't join right away; but after a couple of months I felt comfortable joining the group here. 

I still remember being scolded by my daughter when she found out I was going to meet up with a board member for a day of fishing. "you don't know this person, he could hurt you".  I went anyway and we're still friends to this day. He doesn't post here very often anymore but when he does he's a great contributor to the site. I only slow "poke" my nose in when I think I have something to contribute to a thread. I visit here once every day or so to see what's up. There's a ton of good people here that I'd drop what I'm doing to help if there was a way I could. Can't remember the member's name but he was from Thunder Bay. His parents were here in London (Mom needed some form of medical help at the hospital). His parents didn't have much money They spent most of what they had on plane tickets, food and accommodations while here in town. The board member (wish I could remember his name)  mentioned that his parents were looking for a way to the airport. I told him not to worry and to give me the details of where and when. I picked up dad at the motel, went to the hospital and collected mom. Went for a breakfast and then off to the airport. I went into the airport with them, making sure they were checked in and ready to go. Said my good byes and felt great that I helped a member here at the site.

That lead me to where I am now that I'm retired. I volunteer at the men's mission three days a week here in London. I want that same feeling that I helped someone that truly needs it.

Dan...  

Edited by DanD
  • Like 8

Dan was that Dan C? He always posted pictures of Sleeping Giant Island. Great to hear that you help out others in your retirement, that is a very noble gesture.

I remember leaving the Zoo Board for OFC for the same reason. Everyone here was great and it is still a great board thanks to the good people and some nudging from the Mods. I only fish once or twice a year so I don't have much to contribute any longer. My icon was from my first Walleye in the Massasauga back around 2007 where I still camp every summer. I still don't catch many there, very elusive. 

Thanks for the posts everyone and the trip down memory lane for many!

Regards,

Warren

• Like 1

I remember the Zoo board well, run by Andy Rubaszek.  It closed up shop shortly after he retired from the Zoology department.  It was a good board, and I met a few guys back in the day off that site and fished with them.  One of them is still a good buddy of mine!  Most of my experiences where positive on that site, but like anywhere boys will be boys.  Andy was a pleasant guy, and I believe he was heavily involved with Metro East anglers, their hatchery efforts  and did a lot for the fishery and stocking east of the GTA. I got on that site at the beginning back when they updated once a week.  

Edited by porkpie

On 2/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, John Bacon said:

I was a regular and a moderator for a time.  I found this board from a post on the "Zoo" board.

Andy operating hunting and bird watching boards as well.

I still deer hunt with a guy that I met off his hunting site years ago.  Talk about internet dating!

Off topic (Sorry) There was another Andy (not from the Zoo) that used to belong to this board way back. He had broken English you could tell by his posts: seemed like a great guy. Used to post all kinds of pictures of his on shore fishing. He then got an inflatable boat and showed us his adventures out on the water. The last I remember of him, is he started his own message board but it wasn't around for very long? I don't remember him ever coming back here?

Does anyone else remember him?

Dan... 

8 minutes ago, DanD said:

Off topic (Sorry) There was another Andy (not from the Zoo) that used to belong to this board way back. He had broken English you could tell by his posts: seemed like a great guy. Used to post all kinds of pictures of his on shore fishing. He then got an inflatable boat and showed us his adventures out on the water. The last I remember of him, is he started his own message board but it wasn't around for very long? I don't remember him ever coming back here?

Dan... 

His name was Andy Kartashov (sp) Dan and he was a great guy. Him and I became good friends and fished together quite a bit and then after a few years he gave up his website (muskiestriker) and just sorta drifted off into the sunset.

Cnv00321.webp

Edited by lew
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lew said:

His name was Andy Kartashov (sp) Dan and he was a great guy. Him and I became good friends and fished together quite a bit and then after a few years he gave up his website (muskiestriker) and just sorta drifted off into the sunset.

Cnv00321.webp

You beat me to it Lew, I was searching my photo archives for pictures of him here on New years Eve so many years ago now.
I'm still searching.  ;)

Well I'm still searching

32 minutes ago, DanD said:

Dan... 

As noted above from Lew, it was AndyK, I'm still searching the archives for pictures of him here at my home for a New Years Eve party.
In the mean time here he is at Lakair (on the right) with my buddy Jef (Team Empty Pockets).

AndyK1.jpg

• Thanks 1