Catch,clean cook and eat.

misfish

In regards to one of the quotes on Fish Farmer's post, and I thank you for this as it brought back memories. - You Should Have Been Here Yesterday. I remember a time many moons ago my Dad drove us in his old Pontiac to a popular fishing spot on Georgian Bay and got out and asked one of his buddies if he was catching anything. His buddy replied no, not even a bite, but you should have been here yesterday, couldn't keep them off the hook. My Dad then said well that's it, I'm gonna start going fishing yesterday.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:34 AM, woodenboater said:

mmmmmmmm..is it wrong I wanna dip this in tartar sauce ?

Personally I think it would be a sin. Please keep in mind that's my personal opinion, everyone has their own personal taste. Lake whitefish have a mild but pleasant fish flavor as it is, why would you want to mask it with tarter sauce. I remember fifty to sixty years or so ago when the old timers of the day would boil their whitefish in water than eat it. Unless you are going to drink the broth where's the flavor? My wife used to dip her fish in tarter sauce as she was raised that way until I finally convinced her to try it without. She hasn't used tarter sauce since. Any way that's just us. Don't be afraid to try it on it's own. You may be pleasantly surprised. Cheers.

44 minutes ago, Barry Willis said:

Personally I think it would be a sin. Please keep in mind that's my personal opinion, everyone has their own personal taste. Lake whitefish have a mild but pleasant fish flavor as it is, why would you want to mask it with tarter sauce. I remember fifty to sixty years or so ago when the old timers of the day would boil their whitefish in water than eat it. Unless you are going to drink the broth where's the flavor? My wife used to dip her fish in tarter sauce as she was raised that way until I finally convinced her to try it without. She hasn't used tarter sauce since. Any way that's just us. Don't be afraid to try it on it's own. You may be pleasantly surprised. Cheers.

You're right, ketchup it is!

HH

• Haha 2

"boil their whitefish in water"

I don't know if anyone has ever tried a "Wisconsin Fish Boil". Sometimes called a "Mid-West Fish Boil" or a "Door County Fish Boil". It's typically made with Whitefish, but Lake Trout also works. I first came across this method on a Steelhead trip to the Betsie River in Michigan back in the early '90's. Guys at the "camp" we were staying at would make it over an open fire in a big old cast iron pot that looked liked it once belonged to a witch.

It's simple but produces delicious results...the Whitefish ends up with the taste and texture of something more akin to Shrimp or Lobster than fish.

It uses an insane amount of salt to raise the boiling point of the water...so it becomes like "deep frying" with water. The flavour of the fish becomes very mild, the texture is firm, and the result doesn't taste salty at all. I make it at least once a year...great for feeding a big crowd, just multiply the recipe accordingly....but it's important to maintain the ratio of a total of one cup of salt to 4 quarts of water...and the bigger tbe pot, the better.

Recipe for 2 to 4 people:

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling add half a cup of kosher, pickling or sea salt (not iodized), a couple of handfuls of small redskin potatoes (skin on), and a couple of handfuls of pearl onions. Boil at a simmer until the potatoes are just barely fork tender (about 15 minutes depending on the size of potatoes). At that point, turn up the heat again to a roiling boil. Add the fish (2 lbs or so of skinless fillets cut into 2 inch chunks) and another half a cup of salt. Keep on high heat. When the fish is just starting to get flakey (but not falling apart)...about 7 to 10 minutes...drain the whole pot and divide on plates. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, and serve with lots of melted butter and lemon. 

Tartar sauce not required.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

Hey CrowMan, I truly appreciate you sharing this. I'm always open to new recipes and ways of doing things. Most all my cooking is done outdoors regardless what time of year or the weather. It may be a fire, the smoker, grill, barbeque or the outdoor propane cooker and I can't wait to try this. If I'm not mistaken I believe my wife has one of them big old cast iron vessels you mentioned that looks like it belongs to a witch Haha. I'll have to delete this soon as I never know when she's going to be home from work. It really sounds very good. I'll go with lake trout as I most always have some on hand and I'll be after more around the 20th of April. And again "personally" I feel potatoes should be cooked with the skin on, that's where most your flavor comes from. The ratio of salt versus water makes perfect sense. As you mentioned sea or kosher. I can't remember the last time we had table salt in the house. Anyway thank you very much for this. I know we'll enjoy it. 

13 hours ago, akaShag said:

Tonight's supper was a chinook salmon fillet from Haida Gwaii.  I think the whitie would have been better............😲

Doug

I'm not so sure...the Kings from the Dixon Entrance are pretty darn tasty. So are the Halibut and Lingcod..

You're lucky to have some left...I need to get back and re-fill the freezer.

salmonbc3.jpg

Just now, CrowMan said:

I'm not so sure...the Kings from the Dixon Entrance are pretty darn tasty. So are the Halibut and Lingcod..

You're lucky to have some left...I need to get back and re-fill the freezer.

salmonbc3.jpg

This salmon was also from Queen Charlotte Lodge, June 2022.  It's a long story, but QCL really screwed up our fish boxes and by the time we got home, everything inside was thawed.  The vacuum packaging had not been done particularly well either.  So yes indeed, springs from out there are generally delicious, but this particular fillet was not exactly prime.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...