Gravity water filter systems for camping

Headhunter

I have a 7 day camping/fishing trip planner for early June. We've done this trip a number of times and it's a ton of fun. That said, one thing we do struggle with is bringing enough water with us, while being able to get our boats on plain as we are typically over-loaded on our 17 mile trip to our island camp site.

I've been thinking that we could eliminate a lot of weight, if we didn't have to bring enough water for 6 guys for a week with us. I've been eye balling the various offerings in this realm and would like to get some experienced suggestions as to what you have used and how well it performs. I've seen this on the Sail site as an example of the kind of thing I am looking for.

https://www.sail.ca/en/lifestraw-peak-series-gravity-filter-system-3-l-833663-21-078680001

Many thanks in advance.

HH

The rating standards for this product is NSF P231 

NSF P231 certified water filters deliver up to a six-factor purification of cysts, bacteria and viruses, which they remove at the following rates:

99.9999 percent of bacteria

99.99 percent of viruses

99.9 percent of cysts

This does not remove chemicals such as petroleum or other types of chemicals that could be in the water. This being said the best filtration is distillation rather than filtration. A reverse osmosis system would be my second choice to produce drinking water. The issue with filtration is it takes the easiest path of resistance and as you use the filter it will develop a path through the carbon and the contact time is minimal. Since the penalty of bad water and the distance from medical help should be weighed in what is the best path for you to consider.

Art 

• Like 1

I'd suggest the large refillable bags that you let drip filter, by hanging it from a tree etc. depending on the body of water you're on, going out into the middle of the lake *can* be safe to drink straight from the lake. Did this on my last Quetico trip and no problems. This was a trip with park wardens and was their suggestion. For filtering, I'd be looking at Katadyn or MSR.

Fwiw, friends have caught trophy pike and muskie on flies up there. Good waters for pickerel as well.

• Like 1

We run a similar system on our fly in trips.  So much easier than brining in that much water.  We still bring a bunch in 1L jugs, but the filter would make the bulk of it.  Bring an extra filter.  We had one stop working one year.  We would usually fill the bag from an open, deep spot in the lake, and let it filter out into one of those collapsible water jugs.  I think the one we use is made by katadyn

• Like 1

At the beginning of the pandemic I wanted something for SHTF water purification and did a fair bit of research. I bought a Big Berkey filter, which filters EVERYTHING.  It was somewhat pricey but not that heavy.  A lot lighter than 25 gallons of water, for sure!

Doug

Dude, forget anything else and just get a Platypus filter. If you've got a larger group, go with the larger size.

Keeping it brief, the Katadyn gravity-fed offerings always clog. They're simply not worth the hassle and expense of more filters. 

The Platypus can easily be backwashed to unclog. Just make a sincere effort of filling the 'Dirty bag' off-shore (away from the 'floaties'), and be sure to keep at least a bit of clean water in the 'Clean bag' to backwash the filter from time to time.

Bring some Aquatab pills (also available at Sail) for on-the-go water purification, and you're good as gold.

• Like 1

We have used a Katadyn for quite a while. It does clog on occasion. When it does I take an old toothbrush, taken along for that purpose, and clean the filter.  That helps quite a bit. The flow rate might get slow sometimes but hung overnight does the trick.

My bud has the kind that needs to be backflushed. I'm not sure of the brand but it was a real PITA 

• Like 1

When we went up to Attawapiskat for a 10 day fly-in, we took Aquatads up with us.  To use after our bottled water was used up (weight restrictions on the plane). Easy to use 1 tablet per liter of water.  No it didn't filter the water (still looked stained) but it does kill the bacteria. Bacteria that'll give you "beaver fever". Didn't want to catch that and have to hang my bare ass over the side of the boat, for the rest of the week. Artic shed water is cold on bare parts that are usually not bare!!! LOL

Candian format and packaging including printed instructions in English/French and Canadian dosing - 1 tablet per 1 litre. Purifies water for camping, hiking, boating and international travel. Use to make water safe for drinking, brushing teeth, cooking and washing fruits and vegetables. Aquatabs are an internationally recognized brand of water purification tablets that have been tried and tested in a wide range of water sources. This unique tablet, while chlorine based, will not colour the water or leave objectionable chemical tastes. Aquatabs come in tablet format and are individually sealed in foil making them extremely compact, lightweight, stable and easy to use - No liquids to leak or glass to break. A top 10 emergency essentials item. Aquatabs produce no unpalatable taste or odour and are Iodine free. Aquatabs are safe for use by pregnant women and children when used as directed. Aquatabs have a 5-year shelf life from the date of manufacturer. Aquatabs will not stain water bottles or hydration packs. Aquatabs are Halal certified and made to ISO and GMP standards. How do Aquatabs water purification tablets work? Each Aquatabs tablet contains a measured dose of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate, commonly referred to as NaDCC. When added to water Aquatabs dissolve to release a measured dose of hypochlorous acid (free available chlorine) that is universally recognized as a safe and effective water disinfectant. READ PRODUCT LEAFLET BEFORE USE. For dirty, cloudy, stained and/or cold (4° C) water, double dosage to two tablets.

Dan...

• Like 1