crappie ice complainers welcome

AKRISONER

I know im long long longggg overdue for a report, but planning a wedding, renovating a house, work and of course fishing get in the way.

Welcome to the thread where you can complain about the ice conditions on your local water hole.

This fish may be one of only a handful of laketrout caught through a hole in the ice on the great lakes this year. You would think -31 degree temperatures would freeze water, instead we managed to lose ice this past weekend due to the intense wind, breaking up about 300 yards of ice, while also flooding the ice that I was fishing on with 6+inches of water.

All i can say is, thank god for my (now defunct) Kast steelhead gloves that allowed for me to pull my tent's pegs out of the ice while they were under 4 inches of water in -22 with dry warm hands. The walk home through that knee deep snow and water was absolute hell, the slush instantly freezing to the bottom of my sled making a 300 meter walk back to the truck taking over half an hour. I actually started laughing maniacly at one point while trying to pack up my already busted up tent, the broken pole within managed to twist itself inside of another set of poles making it effectively impossible to fold away entirely without entirely re-deploying the tent, which was now impossible due to the 60kmh winds and water on the ice. I gave up, folded it best as i could into a pile on the sled and strapped it down. 

I found ice that ranged in depth from 8 inches to 2 50 meters apart from one spot to the next...at this rate we will be boating in no time.

trout.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah...the ice conditions definitely suck this year. On the other hand, the glass is half full. The mild temps and liquid precip have kept the tribs open, and the migratories coming in at a steady pace. Much prefer to play with chrome on 13 ft of graphite rather than a 2 ft stick through a hole. Trout can't do cartwheels through the ice. Best winter Steelheading in 20 years.

5629664295175592e.jpg

554359q555945.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

It wasn't too fine for somebody last night...not even sure what he was doing out there...he heard some cracking so he panicked ??

https://www.orilliamatters.com/police-beat/drone-hovercraft-used-to-rescue-man-from-lake-simcoe-ice-6507876

There has been many warnings about the ice at Johnson beach. You can be on 7" and walk 10 ft away and be on 2".  Been there.

22 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Yeah...the ice conditions definitely suck this year. On the other hand, the glass is half full. The mild temps and liquid precip have kept the tribs open, and the migratories coming in at a steady pace. Much prefer to play with chrome on 13 ft of graphite rather than a 2 ft stick through a hole. Trout can't do cartwheels through the ice. Best winter Steelheading in 20 years.

5629664295175592e.jpg

554359q555945.jpg

Unreal catches

5 hours ago, CrowMan said:

It wasn't too fine for somebody last night...not even sure what he was doing out there...he heard some cracking so he panicked ??

https://www.orilliamatters.com/police-beat/drone-hovercraft-used-to-rescue-man-from-lake-simcoe-ice-6507876

Something isn’t adding up on this one what the heck!

misfish same story here, we got set up I ripped my bait a few times, suddenly a mark showed up on the livescope in 20 fow (I was fishing 50) 25 feet to the side, I reel up to 20 rip my bait twice boom the mark storms to my bait in a flash and I’m on.

"Welcome to the thread where you can complain about the ice conditions on your local water hole"

OK.. I'm at the cottage this week hoping to get a few Whitefish, Crappie or Walleye for dinner. As of today, there's about 6 inches of standing water on the lake. Glass is definitely half empty here...lol

Think I'll go back to chasing Chrome in the creek.

20230209_132811.jpg

• Sad 1

By the title of the thread I was thinking this was going to be about ice fishing for crappies.............🙄

South of CrowMan down around Kingston, the ice is getting pretty sketchy.  It is supposed to go down a bit tonight and be below zero in the morning, but...but...but...I am not in a real hurry to see if my floater suit works or not.

Shortest ice season I can recall.

Doug

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, akaShag said:

By the title of the thread I was thinking this was going to be about ice fishing for crappies.............🙄

South of CrowMan down around Kingston, the ice is getting pretty sketchy.  It is supposed to go down a bit tonight and be below zero in the morning, but...but...but...I am not in a real hurry to see if my floater suit works or not.

Shortest ice season I can recall.

Doug

Pretty sad... My bay on the 7th line on Simcoe wasn't good until last weekend and now its super unsafe and getting worse. The next 10 day forecast doesn't look promising at all. Come on open water then!

First part of his headline is from years ago, the part about the one inch opening right through his hut 

also he can’t decide if he is part of the metric world or imperial world 

he just too things he read on social media and made a story out of them 

1 hour ago, Terry said:

also he can’t decide if he is part of the metric world or imperial world 

But isn't that typical Canadiana? We all buy gas by the litre for boats we measure in feet, and describe distance by how long it takes to get there. It's almost a requirement for citizenship.

Edited by craigdritchie
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:32 PM, CrowMan said:

We ain’t fixing climate change any time soon.

it’s February 15th the literal cold dead heart of the middle of winter it’s 10 degrees outside and pouring rain.

i saw a map from a US storm chaser yesterday, there is a heightened risk of tornados today through tornado alley reaching into the Niagara region…in February.

just another “once in a lifetime warm weather event” that seemingly happens every year these days. It’s actually incredible how bad it’s getting right before our eyes. We used to get a thaw in the winter sometimes even two, a warm day here and there, I can never recall where 7 to 10 degrees above 0 for weeks on end was the dominant weather pattern in winter.

a guy on my parents road said “I’ve lived here 40 years I’ve never seen this bay not freeze” when we asked about ice conditions the first year we moved to the new place, 3/4 of the bay froze, the rest is wide open water.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1