Not a bad gig...

CrowMan

And northern pikeminnows (which are not northern pike and are not minnows) are actually FUN to catch.  But in central BC, where I was catching them, the fish have quite a different name.  I guess political correctness caught up with them, OK fine, but surely to God they could have come up with a better name!!!

My $0.02

Doug

40 minutes ago, akaShag said:

And northern pikeminnows (which are not northern pike and are not minnows) are actually FUN to catch.  But in central BC, where I was catching them, the fish have quite a different name.  I guess political correctness caught up with them, OK fine, but surely to God they could have come up with a better name!!!

My $0.02

Doug

For a while I thought when people said there were Long Tailed Ducks down at the lake they were talking about Pintails, same political correctness 🙄

6 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Long Tailed Ducks

I had to look that one up.  I know them by their other name.  Guess I need to get with the times...................woke woke woke cancel cancel cancel, JT, JT, JT

Where am I going and what is this handcart???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

And northern pikeminnows (which are not northern pike and are not minnows) are actually FUN to catch.  

Maybe I'm just a full blown addict and need to mainline the feel of the tug (no matter how slight)...but what fish aren't FUN to catch. Even catching chubs for bait in my backyard creek puts a smile on my face...😁

I have no problem with re-naming the fish and ducks...it is pretty derogatory term. After all, I don't call Brazil Nuts by the name I called them as a kid.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fishing the Nechako River for rainbow trout, seeing as the elk were not coming out to play.........caught some rainbows for supper, but also my first ever northern pikeminnows.  They put up a better fight than the trout!  But my buddy REFUSED to bring one home to try it for table fare...

IMG_2724.JPG

• Like 2

Should have mentioned, that fishing trip on the Nechako was cut short by a grizzly bear across the river (as you can see in the photo, not a really wide river at that point!!!)  And the grizzly was taking a great interest in us (we had a few rainbows on the bank), and our elk rifles were a quarter mile away in the truck.............AND if you ever shot a grizzly bear, even in self-defence, you are going to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  We got out of Dodge.  And the rainbows were not all that good for table fare, rather disappointing really.

So yes, the high point of that fishing session was catching the northern pikeminnows.

Doug

• Like 1