Jump to content

Is the future electric?


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Don't forget that the blades can't be recycled and are just buried. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8294057/Hundreds-non-recyclable-fiberglass-wind-turbine-blades-pictured-piling-landfills.html

 

Those wind turbines sure do burn good with their 1,000 gallons of oil and 1,000's of pounds of plastic though.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-62405231

Is that what they call Green Smoke?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Don't forget that the blades can't be recycled and are just buried. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8294057/Hundreds-non-recyclable-fiberglass-wind-turbine-blades-pictured-piling-landfills.html

 

Those wind turbines sure do burn good with their 1,000 gallons of oil and 1,000's of pounds of plastic though.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-62405231

I've seen many articles and photos of them burning up, flying apart, and leaking oil all over the place. Not to mention the number of birds they kill each year. And don't forget the seismic damage they do to the ground they are mounted on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is a safe energy power source?

Had a lot more to say but won't go much further; other than this.

We all thirst for some form of power, if it's inexpensive we'll use it. Is it environmentally friendly, who knows; until years later? On the big scheme of things the average Jane & Joe don't give a crap, as long as they can afford to light and power their belongings. Taking the risk that the engineer's are right; that it's SAFE!!!!

Dan...   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nuclear power (despite the fear mongering in some media) has proven to be very safe. In the over 65 years that we've had 100's of nuclear power plants around the globe...there have only been three incidents.

1. Three Mile Island...failed due to human error. Basically the equivalent of the Koebel Brothers from Walkerton were running the plant at the time.

2.  Chernobyl....constructed and operated by the Russians... see their track record with commercial aircraft...I think enough said..

3. Fukushima...impacted by a tsunami. The likelihood of that kind of event in Ontario is nil.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see some research into the poison that will be left with all these batteries we are going to use.

Will we be poisoning our water instead of the air next.

Possibly a carbon capture system on gas engines would do something better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

It is my understanding that every single component of a lithium battery can be recycled. 

OK, I see 95% now, not bad, just difficult and not great for environment itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the growl of a V8 as much as the next guy. My ride in the 70's was a Duster 340 with a 6 pack...leaded gas and no catalytic. Also had a Kawi 750 triple 2 stroke.

But, the writing is on the wall. I wouldn't be investing in a Jiffy or Minit Lube franchise any time soon...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Terry said:

Yeah just a year ago they were saying don’t  invest in anything to do with oil, bitcoin is the way to go 

 

I follow oil and gas stocks. 
Most are saying oil is going to stay at current levels and likely will go to $100+ in 2023.
Oil producers are highly profitable at $60-$80 oil.   Government green policies  are discouraging these companies from exploring and reinvesting profits as was the norm in the past.  Profits will be returned to investors in the way of increased dividends and share buybacks.  Both forcing stock prices up.  With Russian oil under sanctions and the Saudis mostly maxed out, oil will stay high for at least a decade. Companies will likely be doubling their dividends to 8-10% or more in the coming year. That’s good news. I need a new trolling motor with the anchor feature 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't want to turn this thread into a commentary on investing advice. My remarks about "Minit Lube" were strictly an attempt at humour based on the trend of increasing electrification of the economy. 

I will say, when I hear the words ..."most are saying " when it comes to investing, I stay away.

I've always found the words of the Sage of Omaha to be good advice..

"Be fearful when others greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."

I also live by..."don't invest in a business you don't understand". That's  why I would never touch bitcoin or crypto.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

I didn't want to turn this thread into a commentary on investing advice. My remarks about "Minit Lube" were strictly an attempt at humour based on the trend of increasing electrification of the economy. 

I will say, when I hear the words ..."most are saying " when it comes to investing, I stay away.

I've always found the words of the Sage of Omaha to be good advice..

"Be fearful when others greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."

I also live by..."don't invest in a business you don't understand". That's  why I would never touch bitcoin or crypto.

Warren Buffet bought Occidental Petroleum last year and took a significant stake in ExxonMobil. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, captpierre said:

I follow oil and gas stocks. 
Most are saying oil is going to stay at current levels and likely will go to $100+ in 2023.
Oil producers are highly profitable at $60-$80 oil.   Government green policies  are discouraging these companies from exploring and reinvesting profits as was the norm in the past.  Profits will be returned to investors in the way of increased dividends and share buybacks.  Both forcing stock prices up.  With Russian oil under sanctions and the Saudis mostly maxed out, oil will stay high for at least a decade. Companies will likely be doubling their dividends to 8-10% or more in the coming year. That’s good news. I need a new trolling motor with the anchor feature 😎

Managed to "outperform the market" with small to medium cap energy stocks last year. I would agree with you analysis lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of electrified things, I finally got to give an electric ice auger a go this weekend (ion Gen 1)

I can tell you right now, I will never use a gas auger again if I don’t have to. The electric was better in every single imaginable way. I could not think of a single negative to say about it.

I wasn’t even aware that these augers feature a reverse button, which of course allowed you to basically push 90% of the ice shavings back down the hole. Once you’d punched through.

I’ve heard that when it’s really cold you may neeed to bring the battery inside the hut, but we left the thing out in -5 for two days of fishing and it barely ate any power. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can state your opinions as long as it does not include insults or ridicule others opinions. I reset the last few comments with this warning. The next step is to lock the thread. I prefer not to do this because it so far has been interesting.

Art

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...