Is the future electric?

captpierre

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

This article seems to imply there will be no advancement in ev tech for the next 15 years…

Yes, no mention of increases in the densification of existing lithium batteries and new electrical storage solutions already in the pipeline...

That being said I don't think ICE vehicles will completely dissappear for a very long time...there are certain applications where they make sense..but the ability to tow a large trailer long distances is a very small segment of the market.

However, when I read an opinion piece, I often "follow the money"...

Financial Post is owned by Post Media....which is 66% owned by Chatham Asset Management...which is a US holding corporation heavily invested in the oil industry...

just sayin'

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

This article seems to imply there will be no advancement in ev tech for the next 15 years…

You can assume that if you like. I just saw it as stating the results from testing of the present lithium battery EV technology.  Kind of hard to assume what advancements there will be. Bottom line is that all batteries don't perform well in cold climates like most of Canada has. Add heavy loads to them and it just gets worse.

19 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

You can assume that if you like. I just saw it as stating the results from testing of the present lithium battery EV technology.  Kind of hard to assume what advancements there will be. Bottom line is that all batteries don't perform well in cold climates like most of Canada has. Add heavy loads to them and it just gets worse.

call me crazy...but if I think of my buddies 2004 chevy, that thing burned like 30+L/100 when towing, we were pulling over to fill up for gas every few hours too and that was just skidoos!

I 100% agree, a 2023 ford lightning is probably a terrible option for towing a giant camper, thats the job of a diesel for sure. No different than towing my 20 foot glass boat, it gets towed by a diesel too.

2 hours ago, smitty55 said:

another article from the Globe and Mail, this one about testing EVs in Norway. looks like story is behind a paywall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-norway-electric-vehicles/

"Norway has embraced electric cars like no other country on earth, with batteries powering 79.3 per cent of all new cars sold in 2022. But adoption rates have been slower in Finnmark, where just over half of cars sold last year were electric. In the darkness of Arctic winter, shoppers leave diesel station wagons idling in the parking lot as they stock up on groceries. Not everyone is convinced electric will be better.

“The effectiveness of the battery is not so good in this cold,” said Pererik Larsen, a paramedic in Hesseng. His coverage area extends to Bugøynes, a drive of nearly 100 kilometres. As technology progresses and electric range extends, he can imagine using an electric ambulance. But not now.

“In this kind of weather, I would be really worried,” he said.  

story gets more optimistic about EV however

fwiw, if I can scrounge the pennies, I'm hoping my next vehicle is this https://www.jeep.ca/en/grandcherokee4xe/2022

Edited by woodenboater

34 minutes ago, woodenboater said:

another article from the Globe and Mail, this one about testing EVs in Norway. looks like story is behind a paywall.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-norway-electric-vehicles/

"Norway has embraced electric cars like no other country on earth, with batteries powering 79.3 per cent of all new cars sold in 2022. But adoption rates have been slower in Finnmark, where just over half of cars sold last year were electric. In the darkness of Arctic winter, shoppers leave diesel station wagons idling in the parking lot as they stock up on groceries. Not everyone is convinced electric will be better.

“The effectiveness of the battery is not so good in this cold,” said Pererik Larsen, a paramedic in Hesseng. His coverage area extends to Bugøynes, a drive of nearly 100 kilometres. As technology progresses and electric range extends, he can imagine using an electric ambulance. But not now.

“In this kind of weather, I would be really worried,” he said.  

story gets more optimistic about EV however

fwiw, if I can scrounge the pennies, I'm hoping my next vehicle is this https://www.jeep.ca/en/grandcherokee4xe/2022

I'm  actually blown away by that stat...

That in a country where its most southern tip is at the same latitude as the middle of Hudson Bay...it's largest and most southerly city, Oslo, is at the same latitude as Yellowknife....and also happens to be the 11th largest oil producing country in the world (Kuwait is 10th)

...and 80% of new vehicles sold are EV's...wow !

Edited by CrowMan

BTW, woodenboater...nice choice of vehicle. My wife had a Wrangler 4xe (plug-in hybrid) for 9 months...it was stolen from the GO parking lot. Never put any gas in at all during the week as a grocery-getter and commuter, just plugged it in on the driveway overnight...but with the ICE no range anxiety at all on long road trips or to the cottage.

The total output of the power train was impressive...better than the non-hybrid options...375hp and 450 ftlbs torque.

The Grand Cherokee is a nice ride....still has a lot of German DNA from when Mercedes owned them

Edited by CrowMan

just watching bassmaster live today and it occured to me almost every single pro in this event is running lithium batteries, I think 5 years ago? Not a single boat would have been running lithium? Lead acid is basically quickly becoming a dinosaur. Unfortunately I needed new batteries last year and couldnt front the bill for a new charger and batteries to go lithium, but im basically 100% certain when these ones go, ill be making the switch.

Ive made the switch for my ice fishing eletronics, to say that im blown away with the performance would be an understatement. I ran livescope and a 10 inch screen all day last weekend and was still reading 13.1volts at 5 in the evening.

These are really exciting times for new tech...

There's a  new battery technology in the pipeline...graphene. Some of the major automakers are already heavily investing in it as the next wave after lithium.

3 X the capacity and 70 X the charging speed compared to lithium. You will be able to achieve a full charge quicker than filling your tank with gas...

Canada is one of the leading producers of graphite (graphene is a derivative). There is a publicly traded company called Northern Graphite that may be worth looking at, if you have some play money in your portfolio. 

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

just watching bassmaster live today and it occured to me almost every single pro in this event is running lithium batteries, I think 5 years ago? Not a single boat would have been running lithium? Lead acid is basically quickly becoming a dinosaur. Unfortunately I needed new batteries last year and couldnt front the bill for a new charger and batteries to go lithium, but im basically 100% certain when these ones go, ill be making the switch.

Ive made the switch for my ice fishing eletronics, to say that im blown away with the performance would be an understatement. I ran livescope and a 10 inch screen all day last weekend and was still reading 13.1volts at 5 in the evening.

Just to be devils advocate here..lol

Sounds like advances in technology cause us to use more power, causing a pollutant of some sort.

When I started ice fishing we had no electronics, no power auger, no foldup huts, heck no huts at all.  And we caught fish.  I remember when bells on your gad was a new thing.

I have a gas auger but I couldn't drill holes for all the kids any more. 

14 hours ago, Dara said:

Just to be devils advocate here..lol

Sounds like advances in technology cause us to use more power, causing a pollutant of some sort.

When I started ice fishing we had no electronics, no power auger, no foldup huts, heck no huts at all.  And we caught fish.  I remember when bells on your gad was a new thing.

I have a gas auger but I couldn't drill holes for all the kids any more. 

Not only advanced technology but the advancement of civilization. A continuing trend is that a greater percentage of the world's population is exiting poverty. We want more toys and bigger houses, they want frigs and their own personal transportation.

Edited by scuro2

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a news article that was titled, Global race to develop cold weather batteries.

Thats good, but. There are some northern communities but most of the worlds population is in warmer climes. So, concentrate on good batteries there and we will run off the devils fossil fuel till they figure it out. Mostly saves the world.

Edited by Dara