Is the future electric?

captpierre

On 1/12/2023 at 11:12 AM, Dara said:

I guess they better get at building some generating stations to charge these batteries. I know I won't be able to afford the gas to do it with my 2200 Honda.

Sure would make for a nice quiet ride to Toronto from here. As long as they don't make the seats smaller than the current Dash 8's

Doesn't using a fossil fueled generator kind of defeat the purpose of an electric motor, please think of the environment 🙄

On 1/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, AKRISONER said:

I personally wish I could figure out a way to make the extraction of crude from the oil sands even 1% more efficient. Lots of companies working on this stuff. Then I could buy every boat I’d ever want lol.

Apparently there is, instead of steam extraction, they have found a new way which substantially increases output. Read it somewhere a few days ago, damned if I can find it.

Toyota is testing hydrogen fuel cells in Australia as we speak 

the only problem is in Canada we would have problems with the water coming out of the tailpipe but by the time is ready to sell in cold climates, I think they will find a way to store or steam it off 

1 hour ago, Terry said:

Toyota is testing hydrogen fuel cells in Australia as we speak 

the only problem is in Canada we would have problems with the water coming out of the tailpipe but by the time is ready to sell in cold climates, I think they will find a way to store or steam it off 

Well when it's cold enough, you could shoot icicles at the guy behind you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Apparently there is, instead of steam extraction, they have found a new way which substantially increases output. Read it somewhere a few days ago, damned if I can find it.

Ah found it.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-company-s-technology-used-in-nasa-mars-mission-could-help-reduce-oilsands-emissions-1.6228028?fbclid=IwAR3UR6AEG4tzqCdwxjnbm7tLAPMrrkzQBpBM88JFBj2hwUBEhHvSoQqw5LU

16 hours ago, dave524 said:

Doesn't using a fossil fueled generator kind of defeat the purpose of an electric motor, please think of the environment 🙄

Most definitely does.

I think about it every day.

I can't see any source of power right now that will save it.

We do what we can. Ontario got rid of coal for the clean natural gas, now that isn't good enough.

We tapped all the little rivers we could for hydro power.

We are closing nuclear powered plants because they are wore out and the anti nucers won't let us build new ones.

China opens new coal fired plants every day.

The world needs power and it is coming from fossil fuel until scientists figure it out or we all die.

Start putting some money into dealing with warming instead of trying to stop it.

And I'm not picking on you by quoting, it just kinda went that way

• Like 1

Dara chillllllll….this is a good thread the first in a while to actually have regular interaction. 

did I not understand that evinrude left the market and had gone back to the drawing board to effectively go all electric? Or was that just a rumour?

i hope it purely wasn’t just to create that inboardesque abomination that they made for the back of the alumacraft line ups?

Edited by AKRISONER

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Dara chillllllll….this is a good thread the first in a while to actually have regular interaction. 

did I not understand that evinrude left the market and had gone back to the drawing board to effectively go all electric? Or was that just a rumour?

i hope it purely wasn’t just to create that inboardesque abomination that they made for the back of the alumacraft line ups?

Wish I could chill. It's 4 degrees out there where it should be minus 10 or 15.

We need ice.  I hate global warming.

I had heard the evinrude rumor as well but until we get futuristic batteries it all seems to be wheel spinning.

I thought the alumicraft was an April fools joke

• Like 1

"can't see any source of power right now that will save it"

Nuclear Fusion. Big break through last month in California. Clean, endless, safe energy (it shuts down immediately when power input is turned off) and no radioactive waste to deal with..

Yes, it may sound far off...but remember we split the first atom (nuclear fission) in 1942...the first large scale nuclear reactor was supplying electricity to cities by 1958..

As for batteries...Sodium Ion and NanoTube technology are on their way...almost instant recharging, small and lightweight and no lithium required...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

"can't see any source of power right now that will save it"

Nuclear Fusion. Big break through last month in California. Clean, endless, safe energy (it shuts down immediately when power input is turned off) and no radioactive waste to deal with..

Yes, it may sound far off...but remember we split the first atom (nuclear fission) in 1942...the first large scale nuclear reactor was supplying electricity to cities by 1958..

As for batteries...Sodium Ion and NanoTube technology are on their way...almost instant recharging, small and lightweight and no lithium required...

I literally think nuclear fusion is going to save the human race from our own stupid selves. Humans although we are disgusting, war mongering, polluting plague to the planet, also are incredible purely for our minds. 

thats what people need to remember here, remember that electric cars weren’t even on the road in 2010! Tesla are now one of the biggest auto manufacturers on the planet, and every single other major auto maker has electric vehicles that you see on the road every day. 10 years is a literal blink of the eye in the grand scheme of things. 

heck many of you on this forum see me as a young bozo…the internet didn’t even exist when I was born imagine the limits of human engineering with this relatively brand new electric vehicle technology. It’s kind of mind blowing when you really think about where this can go. I really have no doubt that I’m not much time at all relatively that we are going to see battery tech that allows for most vehicles to easily go 1000+km on a charge. We’re already up to 600-7with the original technology. 

my friends bought a Tesla this year and drove to florida in it, they stopped a total of 4 times for 30 minutes+

so effectively, the drove to florida and drove the same way that anyone would lol. Every mall, etc that they needed to stop at had chargers. Their total bill for “fuel” for the trip was something like $30 there and back. That pays off your vehicle pretty darn quick with todays fuel prices!

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Totally agree Akrisoner...

My wife just got the BMW iX in December. 520 km range and 0 to 100k in 4.8 seconds. When you need to pass someone on a single lane highway, the instant acceleration is incredible. It has the same interior space as the mid-size X5 SUV.  With the low center of gravity (batteries are in the floor pan) it handles like a go kart. She gets to our cottage north of Kingston (we live in Oakville) on $9 of juice. We installed Level 2 chargers at home and at the cottage, and every service centre on the 401 has quick charge facilities. Takes 18 minutes from 20 to 80%...just enough time to pee and get a coffee. 

I'm still a dinosaur and sticking with my pick up for now. It's useful for hauling wood and going to the dump...and I also need to tow my boat as I usually make a September fishing trip to NW Ontario every year. As of now, not many charging stations north of Superior...but it's coming I'm sure. Who knows my next truck may be a Lightning or a Rivian.

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

I'm still a dinosaur and sticking with my pick up for now. It's useful for hauling wood and going to the dump...and I also need to tow my boat as I usually make a September fishing trip to NW Ontario every year. As of now, not many charging stations north of Superior...but it's coming I'm sure. Who knows my next truck may be a Lightning or a Rivian.

this is exactly what throws me for a loop. As previously mentioned, I drive a diesel pickup towing a boat strapped with a 200hp 2 stroke on it.

Knock on wood, both of them last me another 10 years? maybe longer (i could hope) But lets say an investment goes well, i win the lottery, A long lost billionaire uncle dies somewhere and I inherit a bunch of cash to buy myself Dara's 100k boat 😉blah blah blah, anyways lets say my next truck is electric (i have a deposit down on a cyber truck they originally posted the price at 68k, if i can get one at that price, I will gladly buy it, if its between a base model f150 or a cyber truck for basically the same price????) and then lets say I own that cyber truck and 8 years from date of purchase of that truck, electric outboards are an option, its actually 100% conceivable that my next truck and boat combo could be fully electric. I could literally go from diesel and 2 stroke to all electric in one generation of vehicles.

EDIT: Tesla just dropped their prices 20%...aka they are the same price now as ICE vehicles...so you tell me, would you drive a gasser at that point? https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-cuts-prices-electric-vehicles-us-market-2023-01-13/

Edited by AKRISONER

55 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I hear they are currently hiring Chinese children to work in the mine.  😜

How else you gonna make a buck or even get help nowadays. 

PS, might show up in April, how's ice fishing then

Edited by Dara

I live and play north of Superior.

Wife will likely go electric for her next car. Running around town.

For me, I need a bit more than battery as it exists today to go 100km back in the woods in 20 below weather and expect to make it back after 4 or 5 days there.

Show me the tech and I'm all for electric.  Build a couple nuc plants though because we will need the capacity.

Wait, here's one. Algoma steel is currently building 2 electric arc furnaces. They are still working on where the electricity to power these things will come from.

Sault uses 1.2 meg right now, to power these we will need 3.4or something like that.

Where will it come from and how

I hear EV trucks disappoint when towing. 
Remember everything runs off the battery in an EV.  AC, heater, seat warmer, lights, radio. 
Add that batteries don’t like the real cold. 
Not sure,  but I’m guessing range drops significantly in -15C weather. 
Good in California vehicles ( we’re there are many). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, captpierre said:

I hear EV trucks disappoint when towing. 
Remember everything runs off the battery in an EV.  AC, heater, seat warmer, lights, radio. 
Add that batteries don’t like the real cold. 
Not sure,  but I’m guessing range drops significantly in -15C weather. 
Good in California vehicles ( we’re there are many). 

That somewhat seems to be a bit of a “make it look bad just to make it look bad” take.

I’ve heard it can be bad with loads near the vehicles maximum towing capacity…but that’s the same for a gasser.

I’ve heard that realistically speed is what kills their towing capacity, so basically If you drive at normal highway speed and don’t speed with a normal boat there’s what you’d consider to be a normal decline in range.

once again, newer battery tech is on the immediate horizon, extending range. People seem to be really worked up about this like they forgot about how bad their fuel mileage was in their 98 dodge ram or chevy. Those trucks were getting 400km while towing on a 100 litre tank lol.

Back at the turn of the previous century the common complaint was..."I can't go very far with these new Horseless Carriages, there's not many places I can get fuel, and they're not strong enough to plough my fields...I'll keep my money invested in that buggy whip company..."