What say everyone. Did dude get off lightly or shld have been hit harded ?

woodenboater

I'm leaning towards not harsh enough. Two years is nothing and will fly. Longer ban would have been better, if not an outright lifetime ban.

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/man-fined-15k-for-shooting-moose-near-espanola-without-a-license-abandoning-it-in-the-woods-1.6212830

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that 2023 is a banner year for everyone here, and far.

• Like 1

Ok, the headline is a bit misleading, he had a license but not a cow tag, probably a case of mistaken identification, often a cow will have a calf with her in the fall season, he might have seen the legal calf , it disappeared briefly and the cow appeared he shot it thinking it was the calf, realized his mistake and abandoned it rather than call a C.O. and confess to his mistake. It is not like he just shot a moose for thrills and let it lay. In that scenario I say about right

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dave524 said:

Ok, the headline is a bit misleading, he had a license but not a cow tag, probably a case of mistaken identification, often a cow will have a calf with her in the fall season, he might have seen the legal calf , it disappeared briefly and the cow appeared he shot it thinking it was the calf, realized his mistake and abandoned it rather than call a C.O. and confess to his mistake. It is not like he just shot a moose for thrills and let it lay. In that scenario I say about right

story says he was without a license. "...pled guilty to unlawfully hunting big game without a licence..."

He did not have a cow tag,  when he saw it was a cow he knew he screwed up and he left it in the woods to rot. From my way of thinking if he was trying to jack a moose he would have taken it home with him.  That’s the way I read it

“Elyk shot and killed a cow near Sables Lake,” the release said.

“He did not have a valid licence to hunt a cow moose. Elyk then abandoned the moose, causing it to spoil.”

he still screwed up and is paying for it 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woodenboater said:

story says he was without a license. "...pled guilty to unlawfully hunting big game without a licence..."

image.png.e198d2d6d5a3bae784f30ece5c008385.png

I read that as he had a valid moose license , just did not have the cow sticker, you have to apply to a lottery for adult tags. The licence you buy is valid for calves only, same as deer, the deer licence you buy is a bucks only licence, apply in the lottery for a doe sticker. 

Edited by dave524

He should have took his chances and gutted the moose, loaded up and got it home rather than letting it rot.

Would have saved himself 11,000 bucks if he still got caught.

He should be never allowed past French river again. 

• Like 3