Ice fishing line

CrowMan

I'm re-loading some reels for the hard water season. Most of the lakes I fish are quite clear, so I prefer to use FluoroCarbon line....4 or 6lb for Crappie/Perch and 8lb for Walleye. If I'm going deep for Whitefish/Lakers, then it's 10lb braid with a 6 or 8lb. FC leader. I like the no-stretch qualities of braid for the sensitivity when deeper than 25 ft.

Last couple of seasons I used Sufix Ice FC and Sufix 832 Ice Braid....however both these lines can get stiff and springy when cold and wet...and don't necessarily shed water as advertised, they'll get sticky on the spool. I know there's a bunch of ice fishing specific lines on the market now...any experiences and recommendations to share ?

Nanofil is an excellent spring/summer/ fall line, and works great if your fishing from a heated shack.  It's pretty crap when fished outside in freezing temps and I wouldn't use it as an ice line.  I grabbed 8 spools of it as soon as I heard they where discontinuing the product.  A real shame!  OP, I use 8-10lb power pro on most ice reels, and I just use a longer fluoro leader the clearer the water. If your strictly fishing outside though braid isn't my first choice.  I stick with trilene XL.  I have used the clear trilene ice line in 3lb test on my perch rods though.  Nothing perfect in winter, everything either coils a bit or freezes a bit.  It's one of the reasons I try to fish in a flip over as much as possible unless it's a warm wind free day.  If someone has the caramilk secret for ice line I'd love to hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BillM said:

Fireline Crystal over Nanofil all day if you've got ice in your guides, or you're outside in below zero temps.   

I used Crystal last winter. I was surprised. Inside outside. Like silk really.

Was looking at this line today. Feeling it and looking at it,so close to nanofil.

Was on the fence,but I have enough spinning reels full here,that I can load up my  new ice fishing inlines for now.

Ardent® Gliss Fishing Line

A few folks have recommended the Fireline Ice. Does anyone know the difference between Fireline Crystal Ice and Fireline Micro Ice ?

Yeah, NanoFil is definitely my favourite line on a spinning reel the rest of the year. I'll keep switching it front to back between reels...just keep on putting on more backing. I did try Sunline XPlasma this past year...so far I'm really liking it, especially in finnesse applications. However, just like NanoFil you have to be very careful with the knots you use.

Edited by CrowMan

Looks like I will have to try and find some Fireline Crystal. Had some nanofil previously on my reels from quite some time ago and decided to get out ice fishing for the first time in like 4-5 years last year and outside of the hut, the line was not great.