Broken rod tip

Big Cliff

Mr. Nobody did it, but I just went to get one of my favorite rods and found that the tip has been broken off. I want to repair it but haven't done one before. Any suggestions on where to buy a new tip and what is the best adhesive to use. Can you order spacific diameters? If so, how much tolerance between the od of the rod and the id of the tip. 

This may sound a little bougie (probably because I am)... but on the couple of occasions I've repaired a broken rod tip, the rod has never felt the same afterwards...especially if I'm using it for finesse applications where sensitivity is paramount. What used to be a favourite, now becomes one for the grandkids to play with..

For me that would be an excuse (not that I need one...lol) to go out and buy a new rod.

• Like 1

I agree with Crow, if you actually broke the rod itself, the rods basically toast. If you just screwed up the eyelet then it can be repaired.

Ive got a broken Orochi in my basement as we speak that I for whatever reason havnt thrown in the garbage even though I know I will never repair it.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

I have done it.  I can't remember where I bought the tip, but I think it was probably at Sail and I think it was a kit with multiple sizes of tips.  I carefully cut off an extra inch of rod in case there was any splits that extended back from the break.  Found a tip that fit reasonably snug, then some very light sanding of the surface and simple epoxy.  Then a light thread wrap for looks.  I lost about 3 inches of rod from the break, but it was and is a decent rod (older quantum hi-mod graphite).  Easy fix if the rod is worth keeping as a backup (or for guests on your boat).

Edited by Canuck

Broken tip? and how much of the rod itself?  Like Akri and Crow mentioned, the rod may not feel the same, and how much is broken off will be a factor. If you epoxy a new eye on? figure on having to cut it off if it should break again, ferrule cement like in Terry's picture works best.

l

30 second fix with the right size tip...I've built, modified rods for 25 years now and played with all kinds of ideas on broken rods. They may not fish 100% like they once did but shouldnt be dumpster bound either. I am currently working on bringing back to life a intact bottom half of an old 11' fenwick river runner mated to a snapped top section of an old 12'6 fenwick legacy that should make a passable float rod around 11'. Will it be perfect, heck no. Will it still get me some bows when I decide to go back in time and use it for an afternoon? For sure! Lots of the old loomis stuff still floating around was frankensteined rods from Lorne Green etc. Sometimes its better to strip and rebuild right from scratch. My favourite IMX 1562 float rod is missing about 3". I stripped it and rebuilt and its my favourite even though I have the same rods without the tip break. Just the straightest and best balanced...Used good quality broken rods to do strip and rebuilds that I end up giving to friends and family also. Allows some creativity and keeps me from always spending money on new blanks and components. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, AKRISONER said:

I agree with Crow, if you actually broke the rod itself, the rods basically toast. If you just screwed up the eyelet then it can be repaired.

Ive got a broken Orochi in my basement as we speak that I for whatever reason havnt thrown in the garbage even though I know I will never repair it.

Not true. One of my old favourite started off as a 7 ft 1 , then turned to a 6ft 10. Now it’s a 6 ft 6. Just gave it away to my friends kid after 18 years of catching fish. 

Well first of all, thank you all for your replies and comments but a very special thank you to spiel who pm'd me some very helpful tips. The rod is repaired and to look at it you wouldn't know there was ever anything wrong with it. Will it fish exactly like the original? I'll have to wait until spring but I have a feeling it will do just fine besides, by spring I won't remember exactly how it fished anyway. 😊

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

Well first of all, thank you all for your replies and comments but a very special thank you to spiel who pm'd me some very helpful tips. The rod is repaired and to look at it you wouldn't know there was ever anything wrong with it. Will it fish exactly like the original? I'll have to wait until spring but I have a feeling it will do just fine besides, by spring I won't remember exactly how it fished anyway. 😊

Happy to help Cliff, glad it worked it out for you.  :)

• Like 2

nice! I have fixed numerous rods....they just keep getting shorter. Between 4 young boys, friends at the cottage and me slamming them in a car door I have at least 1 or 2 a year that need repair. Feel different? Who knows. They all still catch fish. Buddy in Guelph fixes em for a few bucks.

Glad its fixed, I'll only add Tips are measured in 64's of an inch beg borrow or buy a diameter gauge that has holes in it  to measure diameters in 64's of an inch. slide it over end of rod what ever one just fits over is your tip size. 4/64 is a size 4 tip etc. in between buy 1 size bigger. lots of suppliers but one i use is MUDHOLE.

• Like 1