LiveScope transducer mount

CrowMan

I'm planning to install LiveScope on my boat this winter. Debating whether to mount the transducer on the trolling motor or on a seperate pole mount. I'm a multi-species/presentations angler...I'll cruise shore lines pitching for Bass... I'll spot lock and vertically jig Walleyes and Lakers...I'll hunt down suspended open water Crappie...I'll troll with downriggers and dipseys...etc, etc... a bit of everything. 

Opinions ?

I have had mine on my trolling motor for 3 years now, it’s ok if you want to look the same direction the motor is pointed 

in anchor lock mode on the trolling motor it’s hard to use as the motor is moving all over the place trying to be stationary 

so I am hoping to find a suitable separate mount for mine over the winter 

well, i can give you my opinion cause i fish it both ways extensively. 

To me its dependent on the trolling motor you are using. Electric steer like a terrova, id probably/maybe (im still not fully convinced) opt for a hand mount, cable steer/cable style electric steer id 100% put it on the trolling motor.

I run a garmin force with it mounted on the TM on my boat and I will tell you right now that it is the ultimate way to use livescope, that is until this target lock system really hits the maintstream. The way to use livescope is to scan around for fish, while fishing and with a hand mount, you simply have to stop fishing to be able to use the livescope. Not to say that a lot of the time if im really intently searching for fish to pitch to, im not doing a ton of casting anyways.

The speed and agility of having livescope connected to your trolling motor via a fast steer system the livescope essentially becomes a part of your body, almost like you are some form of terminator cyborg that can scan underwater in real time. This ability is hindered by the slow steering speed of a terrova or other MK electric steer style motor.

Terry has a point about spot lock being a little annoying, I dont disagree, you lose your target the second you hit that anchor button. So consider how you will be fishing the most. I did a vertical walleye jigging trip a few weeks back, and if im being honest, ya I wish my livescope was on a pole because it can be hard to pick up whats going on underneath the boat. At the same time, I have another screen with 2d sonar to show me what is going on underneath the boat. The livescope was shining when the bite would taper off and I would simply flip the pedal around and find the next pod of fish.

I think if it was me, and I was running a terrova or other electric steer style TM, id run it on a pole, the inability to have the feeling of the livescope view being directly connected to my body instantly would be the deal breaker for me. Youd be surprised how hard it can be to really really dial in on a fish while the wind is blowing and the waves are crashing moving your boat. You need that ability to finely tune the aim of the transducer, and I just dont find that it would be easy with a trolling motor that steers somewhat slowly.

Ill give you another tip of advice as you embark on this journey, it may or may not be implied, but if you spot fish off of the boat with the scope, stay the hell off of them. Youd be blown away at how much of a difference this makes.

Good info guys, thanks. Two opinions...both reflect exactly my thoughts and the debate in my own head.

Currently, I'm running a Terranova and considering I do use spot lock quite often, I'm leaning towards the pole/hand mount. Just don't like the idea of one more thing to be manipulating especially when I'm in "search and destroy" mode. Also, I would imagine the TM shaft may show up on the imaging ?

Maybe need to look at a Force TM or similar too...as usual with technology, one upgrade leads to another...lol

• Haha 1

I have mine on the TM (Ultrex) and the hands-free control is great, but like mentioned above, once you hit the anchor button, all bets are off. I have a big tiller boat and have considered getting a pole mount for those times when I'm fishing from the helm. Traxstech makes a nice one that will slot right into the gunwale track, and looks pretty easy to stow/deploy, but it's been out of stock all season. FYI, you do not see the shaft/motor when mounted on the TM, at least not with the perspective mount that comes with the latest model (LVS34)

If you have a terrova, go with a pole and you will be happy, just make sure you have a pole that is easily handled from where you fish the most or it will drive you insane. I dont personally like the configuration of how my old man has it set up, its too on the side of the boat and not easily handled without leaning over and annoys me.

Re: seeing your trolling motor, you wont be able to see a ton in the first foot of water anyways on the scope. 

I kinda argue that anything shallower than 8fow is basically pointless with the livescope unless in perspective mode. If you go with the lvs32 and want a perspective mode mount a guy reverse engineered them in the states and 3d printed them. He sells them for like $25 a piece shipped instead of the $100+ that garmin charges.

• Thanks 1