Wacky rigs

siwash

Anyone use these with success?  Are these just mainly a bass rig? Also, are you using o-rings of some type or just hooking it hook through the body?  They really do seem like a n oddball rig! Kind of a wacky idea 🤪

Thanks

Edited by siwash

I would’ve given up fishing years ago if not for senkos and wacky rigging. Started catching fish in places I had fished countless times prior with little to no luck.  Got to be one of the easiest techniques to learn/use. An o ring gets you a lot more mileage out of your worm, worth the 3 seconds it takes to put one on.

• Like 1

I used to fish our cottage lake with texas rigged (weightless) rubber worm and I caught a ton that way. Then 2 years ago I took some kid out on the lake and he fished a senko wacky. Even though I caught a good amount he outfished me significantly. Apparently an old dog can learn a new trick. I switched the next day and have never gone back. Originally I did use an o ring, but personally I don't find that they help. Without them, you lose baits as they get torn up. With them, you sometimes set a hook and just get your ring back (if the fish has only part of the bait in its mouth you can pull the ring right off the bait and its gone). I have caught pike on them as well as bass (and the occasional bite off unfortunately)

For Bass, I like a 1/0 wide gap finesse hook...that's with a standard 5" stick worm like a Senko. I like Gamakatsu hooks but all the major manufacturers have versions. Also, every plastics manufacturer has a version of the stick worm. Lately, I'm partial to MaxScent Generals.

O ring or skin hooked, I haven't noticed a big difference in hooking percentage...although the O ring method tends to save on baits.

I also like to fish wacky style worms on the drop shot...not only for Bass but Walleye inhale them too.

Since Gary Yamamoto invented/developed the Senko in the early 90's, soft plastic stick worms fished wacky style have probably hooked more Bass than all other presentations combined. Even beginners can easily catch fish...it's what I started my kids with, and now my grandkids.

And...a bubble gum pink worm hooked wacky under a float will trigger Steelhead, especially after they've seen roe (or imitations) float by all day...

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. Thanks... 

What kind of oh ring? Are they specifically marketed for the senkos and similar baits?

also, what's the strategy for presentation? Do you subtly jig it?

makes me think that this bait might be good for ice fishing. 

Gonna try them next year for sure! 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, Scott S said:

Hey Bill, What size of hook do you use for that setup.

I usually use 2/0 Trokar unweighted swimbait hooks with the spring bait keeper removed.   Thick wire, super strong and razor sharp.   Attach some 40lb flouro as a leader and I'm good to go. 

Ngl, when I fish tournaments, I’ve been fishing my worms rigged neko more often. It’s a bit pricier and finesse but I’ve found they get bit even more.

could be a confidence things but I think the bait standing up the way it does on bottom gets the attention of a few more fish

• Like 1

I like the Neko rig too, especially when I'm in "search" mode...it covers more water than a Wacky which is often fished "spot specific". Not only worms but I also like fluke style baits with the Neko...looks like a minnow feeding on the bottom.

The question that comes up for debate with the Neko...hook facing up or hook facing down ? Seems to be different opinions...snag resistantance vs. hook up percentage...

24 minutes ago, mamona said:

You can get a hooks with weed guard, google weedless neko rig

no hook is perfectly weedless, you fish that junk in the tri lakes and even with the weedgaurd you are still going to foul up, Here is where I am a massive believer in using high end gear when it calls for it. The absolute most feely type of fishing you can do is trying to get a finnesse worm through thick thick weeds like you get in the kawarthas. Its a balance of pulling, but not pulling hard enough that the weeds break off. All while trying to sense bites. Even fishing suspended crappy, or drop shotting walleye doesnt require that level of feel. Takes practice, my tournament partner is one of the most impressive people I know at this type of fishing. Its so friggin boring too but he makes it happen in deep thick weed beds like no one else that I have met.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mamona said:

You can get a hooks with weed guard, google weedless neko rig

Yes, I'm aware of the weed guard options. You can also " Chicken Rig" the Neko to make it  somewhat weedless...1st image

My question was more about hook point direction. Mike Iconelli is a proponent of rigging it like the 2nd image. I've always hooked it as in the 3rd image. Just wondering what folks thoughts are ?

Chicken-Rig-1024x768.jpg

Neko-rig.jpg

Neko-Rig-1-1024x768.jpg

Edited by CrowMan

32 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

no hook is perfectly weedless, you fish that junk in the tri lakes and even with the weedgaurd you are still going to foul up, Here is where I am a massive believer in using high end gear when it calls for it. The absolute most feely type of fishing you can do is trying to get a finnesse worm through thick thick weeds like you get in the kawarthas. Its a balance of pulling, but not pulling hard enough that the weeds break off. All while trying to sense bites. Even fishing suspended crappy, or drop shotting walleye doesnt require that level of feel. Takes practice, my tournament partner is one of the most impressive people I know at this type of fishing. Its so friggin boring too but he makes it happen in deep thick weed beds like no one else that I have met.

Most definitely agree...Good equipment will put more fish in the boat.

My favourite finesse rod is a MegaBass Addermine.  I've tried NRX's, St. Croix LE's, Daiwa Steez...but nothing "communicates" like the Addermine. There are more expensive rods, but there's just something about this blank that makes it special. I can tell if a Bluegill even breathes on my bait...nevermind bottom composition or weed type. Just an incredible stick for bottom contact finesse applications but still has plenty of backbone to haul them out. Also the handle/grip is perfect for the way I hold a rod...with most fingers in front of the reel.

I'm sure others have other opinions, but I've asked my wife to bury me with this stick...lol. I take care of it with kid gloves, because unfortunately MegaBass stopped making this model.

20220717_172507.jpg

Edited by CrowMan

I rig it number 3, but I also dont throw a senko, ive thrown a trick worm on them, but truthfully my fave is the jackall neko flick. that little curve in the tail is just so nasty. I still havent found a hook I think I am totally satisfied with. Unfortunately the Gammy finesse wide gap with weed guards have really disappointed. The wire just doesnt hold up, the glue fails and the wire spins. The wire also tends to bend constantly and is maybe too light to really pull through weeds and stay shut. I think I picked up some wild JDM ones at PBPT last summer, they were a lot better but still left something to be desired.

Whats funny is that I am actually in the market for a new jig and worm rod. The addermire looks super nice, to me though it might be a bit too gummy for my liking, reason being is that I kind of double the usage of my jig N worm rod to also fish 1/2 vibratos for laketrout. My specific technique for them is to cast and then rip and tickle bottom as I rip the jig, you have to feel that bottom contact in 80 fow, but not leave it too long, while also being able to smash hooksets on big lakers when they chew.

Ive honestly always preffered my rods to be on the heavier action side. Even my drop shot rods, ive played with the Aaron Martens special, the NRX + DSR  the conquest DSR and I find although, ya the tips are stupid light and sensitive, they are too soft for me. Its also probably because I just sort of learned to drop shot a particular way i.e. drop swim and therefore I am accustomed to it. I baby hand my OG brown LOOMIS DSR because I doubt id ever find another rod like it. 

My old man has an Loomis IMX Jig N worm specifically for that ripping jigs type of fishing and its gained my attention for sure. Softish tip, but not soft like a drop shot rod, ridiculously sensitive but tons of power and backbone. it might be the direction im headed, my old GL2 Jig n worm has pardon my french, seen some schitt it was the first "expensive" rod I ever owned. I bought it used off of a guy with an old stradic on it for like $200. I thought Id never own a rod nicer than it at the time lol.

While were on the subject of rods...Anyone anywhere should be looking at the shimano Expride line of rods, they punch soooo far above their weight its stupid. My favourite rod is actually a medium expride, I paired one up with a bantam and If I had to fish one rod for the rest of my life it would be that one, and ive got destroyers and MB reels etc and its still not even close.

I love talking about the nuances of stuff, thats the part of fishing that really gets me going. I could sit for hours and talk about these little details.

Edited by AKRISONER

"I love talking about the nuances of stuff, thats the part of fishing that really gets me going. I could sit for hours and talk about these little details."

Same here. 

Obviously "the tug is the drug", but it's the details and strategies of fishing that keep it fresh and interesting for me all these years.

The Addermine is not necessarily a drop shot rod...although I do sometimes use it for that. It doesn't have that wimpy "hinge tip" of a NRX or GLX DSR or St Croix LE or LT. It has a surprising amount of power through the middle of the blank, but the tip just "talks" to me. However, it's versatile enough to fish everything from Ned Rigs to small Swimbaits. It's just too bad they stopped making it...hard to find now. It's the one rod I would never give up.

Completely agree....the Expride 7ft Medium is the best bang for your buck on the market today in a finesse spinning rod. Unfortunately, I never liked the the foregrip on the first generation...I like most of my fingers in front of the reel and there just wasn't any cork. However, with the new generation, Shimano changed that...it now has the grip just the way I like it. I tried to get the new one back in the spring, but I was asleep at the switch and they sold out everywhere before I knew it. I'm on the waiting list for the next shipment, so you may see my old ones for sale.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

in those photos is that a weight stuck on the end? I generally fish them weightless, although in the past if I did fish bass later in the year I would throw a split shot 2 feet above the bait. Wasn't crazy about that set up but it got the bait a bit deeper without the wait. This weight stuck on the end (looks like a jig head with the curved part of the hook snapped off) would be a better idea. 

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

in those photos is that a weight stuck on the end? I generally fish them weightless, although in the past if I did fish bass later in the year I would throw a split shot 2 feet above the bait. Wasn't crazy about that set up but it got the bait a bit deeper without the wait. This weight stuck on the end (looks like a jig head with the curved part of the hook snapped off) would be a better idea. 

Those photos are of a NEKO RIG...a variation of the Wacky.  If you read all the posts, you will see that the conversation on this thread turned in that direction.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:58 AM, CrowMan said:

"I love talking about the nuances of stuff, thats the part of fishing that really gets me going. I could sit for hours and talk about these little details."

Same here. 

Obviously "the tug is the drug", but it's the details and strategies of fishing that keep it fresh and interesting for me all these years.

The Addermine is not necessarily a drop shot rod...although I do sometimes use it for that. It doesn't have that wimpy "hinge tip" of a NRX or GLX DSR or St Croix LE or LT. It has a surprising amount of power through the middle of the blank, but the tip just "talks" to me. However, it's versatile enough to fish everything from Ned Rigs to small Swimbaits. It's just too bad they stopped making it...hard to find now. It's the one rod I would never give up.

Completely agree....the Expride 7ft Medium is the best bang for your buck on the market today in a finesse spinning rod. Unfortunately, I never liked the the foregrip on the first generation...I like most of my fingers in front of the reel and there just wasn't any cork. However, with the new generation, Shimano changed that...it now has the grip just the way I like it. I tried to get the new one back in the spring, but I was asleep at the switch and they sold out everywhere before I knew it. I'm on the waiting list for the next shipment, so you may see my old ones for sale.

Maybe the megabass whip snake is your next rod. I heard good things about it. 
anyways ……… my complete Wacky rig set up almost exclusively these days is a 7’4 med heavy casting rod. ( GLX 893 ) I mostly throw 6 inch senkos with VMC wacky ring. 40 pound braid with 15-20 pound floro leader. I have tried every hook out there and nothing beats a 3/0 Owner Jungle wacky hook. Expensive but has the strength to hold up to a casting rod with braid. I can skip that bait so for and have way better control than with a spinning rod. 5 inch senkos I use a standard 6’6” med heavy Diawa  rod with 2500 series reel 15 pound braid. Sometime straight braid or 12 pound leader. 
one good tip is to have one rod rigged Texas and one for wacky. You can recycle you beat up Texas rigged baits as wacky baits on the other rod. Will sometimes convert the wacky rod into a Neko rod. Hook facing up 

615CD1FA-6102-4071-AA21-79F6F1CDDED0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I must be really old? I remember when nail weights were actually nails! or small screws. Senkos work, as does the wacky rig, just a different presentation of a plastic worm? I think the salt content of some of those soft plastics makes them prone to rearing up easily, and sticking a hook in the middle without an O ring or strap just makes it worse?

Search ebay for VIENNA NASAL SPECULUM  and you can find a strap tool (Stainless steel medical grade) 3 of them for less than the plastic strap tool.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, back with some wacky questions! 

I am going to Grundy this weekend and I want to "deploy" the wacky rig technique.. two questions:

1. How long should your flouro leader be that connects to your main line? (I am using braided main - I thing 30lbs?)

2. What knot are you connecting the two line with? FG knot keeps coming up in searches.  I've never used it before

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by siwash