Mandatory wheel alignment

lew

I like the Michelin Defender tires for my F150 and I'll be buying a new set in the spring when I take off my winter wheels & tires. I was phoning around yesterday to get some prices and one tire dealer told me something I've never heard of before. I MUST allow them to check my wheel alignment ... (for free) ... and if adjustments are needed they'll do it for $140. If I decline the offer it will void the warranty on the tires.

I saw something on the net awhile back about a scam similar to this but didn't read the article and just wondered if anyone else has heard of this before.

FWIW, I'm very fussy about my tires, rotate the every 5000 miles, check the pressures regularly and replace them every 6 years.

21 minutes ago, HTHM said:

They're fishing for more wallet contents, go elsewhere. 

It's too bad as I've dealt with these folks a few times and their prices have always been good but I don't like this new policy and I've got a well respected dealer much closer to me with the lowest price.

Hi Lew. As a retired tire retailer and garage owner there is no such thing as warranty invalidation by not doing an alignment at the time of installation. I know the folks at Michelin and if they had changed their policies I would be aware.

We offered a no charge alignment check to our customers and provided them with a print out showing the alignment of all wheels. If there was a problem we would explain it and suggest that they correct it. However, if they chose not to there was no immediate warranty invalidation. If they returned say a year later with a wear pattern problem then there might have been a discussion as to to why they had that issue..🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Hi Lew. As a retired tire retailer and garage owner there is no such thing as warranty invalidation by not doing an alignment at the time of installation. I know the folks at Michelin and if they had changed their policies I would be aware.

We offered a no charge alignment check to our customers and provided them with a print out showing the alignment of all wheels. If there was a problem we would explain it and suggest that they correct it. However, if they chose not to there was no immediate warranty invalidation. If they returned say a year later with a wear pattern problem then there might have been a discussion as to to why they had that issue..🙂

That's exactly the way I looked at it too John and is also the reason I won't be going back there again. Too bad really as I've always had excellent service from them before with purchases of 3 sets of tires plus new wheels for Sheri's car.

Oh man, things like this scam just pisses me off to no end. Yes an alignment should be checked, making sure that there isn't an issue; but to say that you will void warrantee by not having an alignment is a complete and total ripoff! Oh look there's a 1/8 degree of caster out; you need to have that adjusted. Yeah right, caster is a non tire wearing angle; $140 dollars please!!!! Lastly it is NOT the tire dealer that holds the warrantee on the tire; it's the tire manufacturer. 

Dan...

• Like 3